Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHScott View Post
I find the backwards jacked up sling more noticeable than the metal finish.
What is wrong with the sling? Other than the keeper turn around where the tension on the sling will release it, it is similar to how I run mine for match shooting. The flat side of the keeper will be next to my arm and the adjusting buckle is oriented to be able to properly tighten from the outside of my arm.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:36 PM

Your sights need adjusted. Take two screw drivers one on each side and tighten The windage screw might need one or two bumps forward. If the elevation screw doesn't stop when you turn the elevation back down . You'll need to tighten it up also. you'll have to play with it until you get distinct clicks. My last service grade I got was just like yours . It was never refinished and it was freckled all over the receiver and Barrel. I think its a war rifle that was never refinished. It shoots great. ME2 TE2 Mine is a Jan 1944.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:04 AM

I tried tightening down the sights, got much much better but still rather soft. At least I can go 1 click at a time now though!
Old 11-22-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimopl View Post
Ill try that out! Any oil recommendations? Or does it not really matter?
I've done this using fine bronze wool and Kroil, with no ill effects to the parkerized finish. I let the Kroil soak into the affected areas before working them with the brass wool. You may see some transfer of the brass onto the finish - if so, just wipe it off.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:48 AM

that's not necessarily an attractive aesthetic finish, but it's not active rust from what I can see. Oxidation turned much of the metal red/brown. I've seen this on many Garands at the North Store. A lot of the Turks showed this. If it bothers you a lot, you can always send it away to a few of the very qualified repark services.

I suspect you can try to wipe with brush and oil until your hands fall off and not get rid of it. It looks like a solid service grade overall. Give the stock a proper stain and oiling, and then the eyes will not be drawn so much to the metal. That barrel makes the rifle. I would have been overjoyed by TE2/ME1 for my last mail order service grade, but got a 3/2 which was for me less than thrilling

The stock is actually a bonus, in terms of getting the most accuracy out of the rifle.

I looked at dozens of recent Philippine and or other recent Service Grades at the North Store, and can say that yours falls somewhere in the middle of the pack in terms of quality, especially with that minty barrel.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 11-22-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:47 AM

The sling looks pretty similar to the military installation. I install mine without the clip for the lower swivel to eliminate the noise it makes; and keep it adjusted tight unless I'm actually using it as a carry strap. Where I previously lived I carried it ready for a snap shot at a charging moose or bear. Where I live now that's probably not necessary.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Its a sling that doesn't deserve to be on correctly!

No it is a bad sling...but I found conflicting ways to put it on and this one is comfier for carrying I find
End result that works is all that matters

Although it looks like the sling buckle is 180' out and sling is is 180' out also. The sling end is generally fed down through the front of the sling swivel.

Quote:
I received this back in February, but only just got around to posting her now, due to some CMP forum related issues I neglected to get fixed for a bit. I ordered a Service grade and stickied either for USGI wood of something with character.

When I opened the box this is what I got!

A Springfield Armory rifle made in March of 1943, with a September of 1943 barrel. TE is 2, and ME is 1, and is a mirror inside. All parts seem to be Springfield as well. The receiver was lead annealed giving it a very cool two-tone look, so that's quite some character! I assume this rifle is a Philippines return.

The CMP stock isn't what I wanted, but its ok. Not sure if I want to refinish it yet though. I've shot her twice and have no complaints in that department! While I'm happy I ordered, I cant shake a feeling of disappointment.

What I mean is more evident in natural, or bright, light. The finish makes me feel like it should be a Field grade. Its freckled with rust stains over most of the receiver and rear sight.

The op rod track has these weird cuts along it.

The outside of the barrel is not great. I have it oiled so its protected, but it makes it harder to see the issues. Even in the photos you can tell it is a more red/brown from rust than it should be. The gas cylinder is notably nicer, and really contrasts with it to make it seem worse. When dry of oil, its very noticeably rusty and Im not sure how to clean that without screwing up any finish under it.

The rear sight adjustments are soft and "squishy" making it hard to adjusts just 1 or two clicks.

Due to the condition I assume this rifle was in the top of a crate in a warehouse with a bad roof. We can see the rust stains from it rusting over the top of the receiver and barrel. The front sight was replaced so I assume that was too gone to be saved. The bolt was replaced so again, I assume the previous bolt was too rusty to be saved. We all heard the CMP talking about how some of the rifles weren't stored properly. I assumed those would all be field grade however.

Field Grade states: "Fair to good condition. Rifle will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish."

Service Grade states: "Rifle shows less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to Very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish."

Personally I'd rate this rifles finish as fair to good. Its certainly not bad, don't get me wrong! But I don't think its good to very good for sure. The rust stains and the barrels appearance make me sure of that. Looking at other photos around here confirms the finish seems more typical of Field Grades than Service grades. I didn't expect a brand new rifle in 100% condition, but the one I received seems to fit better as a field grade, save for the throat and muzzle sizes. If I wanted a rifle to reparkerize I would have ordered a field grade off the bat, and saved $100 bucks. What do you guys think? Am I wrong?

When I ordered, I expected to wait 2-3 weeks, as that was what the December wait seemed to be. I didn't realize that come January there is a crunch time where people are ordering the yearly 8 they can get. As such my wait was about 6-7 weeks. Part of me wonders if this rifle was graded as a Service instead of a Field due to this crunch, in which the CMP needed rifles to send out. It isn't ostensibly bad, just not not ostensibly good either. The TE and ME are fitting of a Service grade. But we've seen Field grades with those TE and ME as well.

Again, I'm happy to have an M1 Garand but I feel as though I ended up with a Field grade. Especially in comparison to other service and field grades we can see here. At least shes got character!
What i see is a nice WWII rifle that some how did not go through a complete over haul.
Low TE/ME numbers and a bright bore!
Im not a collector , Im a shooter so as long as it will hold minute of black or better Im thrilled.

You can always ship it back and try again?

The rough machine makes on the op rod rail look well out side any operational contact.

1943 mid war production they where putting them out as fast as possible and I could only imagine how much rougher they could have been.
Good enough for G I was most likely the specifications at that time.

My only tick is the light grey stock hardware, i rather the dark finish.

So few things
If you want a nice even finish M1 you need to go to north or south store and pick one out or buy a CMP special or look locally.

Or find a deal on a doner rifle and rebuild per your specs.

As for any "rust" removal my dad always started with 3in1 oil and cheese cloth. i was always amazed at just how much crud he could pull off of anything he did this with. Even seen him use brown paper bags.

I use the 3M ultra fine pads, white , grey and red for light rust work does not appear to mess up the finish any more than the damage done by rust.

Your rifle is not "rusty" just a aged tone.

Last edited by Big_Red; 11-25-2019 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Snip redundant pics
Old 11-23-2019, 10:19 AM

I'm just a retired Garand 'total rookie newbie" - to my untrained eyes it looks like a great rifle. The new lumber will last a lifetime, and just having the vintage receiver and matching vintage low erosion barrel make it a super deal IMHO.

I bought a Special Rack Grade to have a terrific ''shooter" and got a nice July '44 SA receiver with the package.

I'm NOT a true 'collector' and would not own a safe queen firearm. So for ME, just having a firearm that 'partially' is 5 years older than I am and still going strong makes me smile.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:15 AM

Be careful what you ask for! You asked for character, you got it!
Old 11-23-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick View Post
Be careful what you ask for! You asked for character, you got it!
Grand Slam! This thread is over.