Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > 3-Position Air Rifle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 PM

Default Youth Competition Help

Ok I’m hoping someone can save me some time researching this info. I purchased one of the 853’s at the North Store a week or so ago. Of course the purchase intent was purely for me and my son to use. He’s also in scouts and I was telling one of the other scout dads that it would be “Neat” to create a shooting team made up of troop members.
In a matter of mins, I had a place to setup an indoor range, some funding assistance, and a couple of adult volunteers.
Until last weekend I had never competed in any formal shooting events. So I’m not sure where to start to get a competitive team going. I know opportunities like this don’t come often, so I want to maximize what we have going and have all the needed info before our meeting on Tuesday.

I think we want to center this around the Daisy 853’s. As they are relatively inexpensive and will provide a good starting point.

So here’s just a few questions:

A) How are the age groups broken out? Scouts is 12 – 18 Plus adult member might want to get into this game
B) What is the “sanctioning body CMP? NRA , Both?
C) Indoor Range design info? Benches? Backstop, Traps etc?
D) Equipment list: Rifles, tools , shooting clothes? Is there a rimfire sporter equivalent in the air rifle leagues?
E) Where are the competitions?
F) Anyone live in the Indianapolis area that could help us get started?

This may end up being a new team with members that just happen to be scouts. That’s a whole other issue that I’ll check out with the Scouts. And we all agree that would be ok as well.

Thanks
John
Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 PM

Gator .....

First of all go to the 3-P page here on the CMP website and get the rulebook ... it will flesh out some of the answers in more detail
http://www.odcmp.com/3P.htm

1) The 3-P Air Rifle is mostly meant for juniors, but there is no prohibition of having an "open" adult age group. Junior Age groups closely follow the USA Shooting junior groups (roughly):
AG1 - 17-18
AG2 - 15-16
AG3 - Below 15
USAS defines the age groups by the specific year they were born in

2) Sanctioning body for 3-P Air Rifle is the CMP (see rulebook above). Sanctioning body to "Olympic" style (offhand - W40 shots, M60 shots) is USA Shooting. The NRA also has Sporter & Precision rules. My suggestion is that if you are going to shoot 3-P air (sporter) use the CMP as the NGB as the rules are (so very) slightly tighter ... whatever you do in CMP rules is OK in the NRA rules, but not vice-versa for the most part.

3) Air rifle is an indoor event for the most part, so traps probably required. Commercial ones such as the Creedmore system down to build your own are available. Again CMP has a page with this info:
http://www.odcmp.com/CoachingResources.htm
as well as the Ol' Mill Range website:
http://www.olemillrange.org/ (has plans & coaching ideas)

4) See the various rulebooks and coaching resources. Rimfire sporter would be "interesting" for the rapid fire stages. The 3-P gallery targets provide plenty of challenge. If the kids like "action" get the NRA silhouette rulebook and shoot silhouettes ... Crosman makes air rifle versions

5) Comps are all over the USA.
See the CMP Air Rifle page and look at the upcoming comps and also the results. I have a 4-H club and we compete directly against the JROTC programs here in NM. Fun for all!

6) OK Indianapolis .... I'd see if you can contact Jay Vergenz who is in your area ... he helped me when I got started
jverg at att dot net
Old 09-25-2010, 08:12 AM

Default Youth - 4H

Deprnding upon you state, 4-H also has a good shooting sports program.
See if your County has a program.

3rd grade through high school, in 3 primary age groups.
Basically by age, but more or less Juniors (3-5 grade), Intermediate (6-8 grade), and high school which can also be split into Senior 1 & Senior 2.

In Texas we also issues medals to kids in this manner.
Example: 60 kids in a match of same age group. (No kids are classified before match, they all shoot, then split into class for medals.
Class 1 (Top 20 kids +/-)
Class 2 (Middle 20 kids +/-)
Class 3 (Beginners kids +/-)

Medals and/or ribbons for each class.

Starting out in shooting sports it is a good organization to promote a positive experience for the kids. Kids like the Silhouette events, since they fall over. Until kids are hooked on shooting, you will lose kids because they think it is slow and boring.

4-H Has events in:
BB Gun,
Air Rifle Program - Sporter, 3P, Silhouette
Air Pistol Program - Precision, Slow, Timed,Rapid, and Silhouette
Small Bore Rifle Program - Sporter, 3P, Silhouette
Small Bore Program - Precision, Slow, Timed,Rapid, CMP, and Silhouette
Center fire pistol - Precision, Slow, Timed, Rapid,
45 Pistol for High School events
Black Powder events
High Power Rifle - 100 yards

Shotgun Trap & Skeet is antoher discipline.

Some kids will only shoot 4-H events through out life.
Others will start, CMP, NRA, STC, etc events and do it all when they have confidence.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:44 AM

Default Other ?'s

Events are mostly individual events (Ribbons and medals), some matches will also have team scores. (Which are combined to get the team score.)

So here’s just a few questions:

A) How are the age groups broken out? Scouts is 12 – 18 Plus adult member might want to get into this game

Ages varies between organizations, got to have copy of rules, htey also hace equipment rules.[/COLOR]

B) What is the “sanctioning body CMP? NRA , Both?
And more, 4-H take NRA rules and modify for their need which is more age groups, developing a positive experience.

ROTC has rules also,
Jaycees has events, etc

C) Indoor Range design info? Benches? Backstop, Traps etc?
We made trape that are 2 feet wide and 5 feet tall out of 2" x 2" wood frame.
Carpet on back, can also put a metal flashing layer on back with carpet, then muilty layers of card board, then a front layer of card board to hang targets.
Legs that fold so can be stored in large closet, our range is multi use so we put up and take down every practice.

This allows for prone, sitting, kneeling and standing positions.
No benches, we start kids in the prone position, so a shooting mat or exercise mat. Then work up to hte hardest osition which is standing.

Got toteach outside also to learn the wind, most matches in Tecas is outside.

Spoting scope and stand, ammo holder, etc..

D) Equipment list: Rifles, tools , shooting clothes?
Shooting Cloths only allowed in 1 event precission 3P, until the kid going basically what I would call semi-pro do not invest.

Rifles our 4-H clubs got grants to purchase equipment throughthe years.
We currently have 15 bb guns, over 30 air rifles, 10 air pistols, plus 22 rifles and pistols.

We just got $7,600 from NRA for Aur Program Equipment.
Which we got 10 of the Crossman PCP rifles, and other equipment.
The industry is going to PCP (Precharged Compresed Air - Scuba Tanks Air)
The single pump guns, more work to cock (muscle will give out), CO 2 has temperature issues (Hot in Texas) (Cold other areas) So got to learn change in poin of aim at the extremes.

Is there a rimfire sporter equivalent in the air rifle leagues?
Leagues are not the correct term.

E) Where are the competitions?
All over, 4-H, NRA, CMP, and many more - Web Site will have list at organization site.
F) Anyone live in the Indianapolis area that could help us get started?
Would check 4-H, since you all are trying to get started.
4-H is volunteer based, so you can get withthe 4-H office form a local club, bylaws, go for grants throughthe local 4-H office.

Goggle National 4 H Shooting sports, all states to my knowledge have a shooting program.

Scouts is more into the earning merit badge, not shooting sports overall.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:48 AM

Default Coaches

In a matter of mins, I had a place to setup an indoor range, some funding assistance, and a couple of adult volunteers.

Must have certied coaches, due to libility.

4-H, CMP, NRA all have coaching training throughout the year.

You have to get certified in each discipline.
ie Rifle, Pistol, Archery, reloading, etc, etc, etc.

Usually takes a weekend to get 1 certification.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Forum Webmaster

Here's a good website for hours of homework.

http://www.odcmp.com/CoachingResources.htm