Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 AM

I'm a member of the Richfield Legion, with the gun club down by Elko.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:08 PM

Welcome from Duluth!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the welcome fellas.
Any suggestions for how to prepare for a Garand shoot? I've been reading like crazy but information is so scattered. I have the rifle part taken care of (sort of). I ordered one through Magna. Does one really need a shooting coat, glove, and all of those accoutrements? Is there a good list of shoots in Minnesota? I'm hoping to be able to find someone to tag along with who has done it before. I haven't shot in the prone position since the Guard in the early 90's but I'm looking forward to it.
Oh, and I'm always up for a get together to shoot and hang out. I'll even help organize if there are people interested. I live pretty close to Bill's in Robbinsdale but I usually just bring my handguns there with my buddies.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:55 AM

Fiasco,

Check out this link:
http://www.mrra.org/
Click on the high power link on the left and you will get a list of all of the matches in the 5 state region. There are a couple of clinics during the summer that you could attend and would give you an idea of what a highpower match is all about.

Regards,

Tom
Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 AM

Fiasco,
I'd say you don't need a shooting coat and glove to start. A heavy sweat shirt and a oven mitt would work. A piece of carpet can stand in for a shooting mat. A spotting scope is good to have but many times at a shoot, someone is usually glad to spot for a newcomer. When you go to your first match look at what others use and ask questions. Many times shooter have used equipment that they would sell or even give to you. I've purchased many serviceable items and paid pennies on the dollar for gear that is as good as new. You just have to listen and ask. Good luck at your first match, once you start you'll be hooked. I was. Eddie
Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 PM

Fiasco,

You already have a number of good replies to your inquiry. I know two of the previous posters...Al in MN and tjtorborg and both are good people. Al informed me of the monthly 100 yd. Garand matches held at Oakdale Gun Club when I met him and I have known Tom(aka tjtorborg) for a bunch of years. I have shot the Garand matches held at Harris, MN for a number of years and Tom is very involved in the organization of their high power matches on an ongoing basis. Those matches are laid back and shooter friendly matches. Go to the MRRA website or the Gopher Rifle Club website and check for dates of matches. There will be shooters there who will be more than happy to interact with you and loan or share equipment as needed. If you want to move forward this summer please post here and I will provide you with personal contact information that will enable you to meet with other shooters - myself in particular - and we will do our best to assist you in a positive introduction to a great activity.

Regards,
Don
Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 PM

Thanks for all of the good advice and support guys. Looking forward to shooting with you this summer.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:57 AM

Welcome, Fiasco, from another Minnesotan.

I'm close to Oakdale Gun Club but have a membership at Elk River Sportsman's Club.
ERSC has a laid back High Power program on Tuesday evenings throughout summer starting in the middle of April. You can also shoot F-Class on Monday nights. The ERSC KD range goes out to 600 yards.

173rd has excellent advice regarding the Gopher Rifle & Revolver Cub matches in Harris.
A great place to start is their service rifle clinic and match which is May 7th this year.
You'll meet a fine bunch of people t both clubs.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 PM

I might have Saturday sans wife and kids. I'm not seeing anything on the Service Match and Clinic on the Gopher Rifle and Revolver Club website. Could someone point me in the right direction?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:38 PM

Default Update

Hi Guys,
It's been awhile. I haven't had much time for shooting. I went to an informal vintage rifle shoot at Del Tone and was the best out of 9 with my new rifle. I got some bonus points for shooting with a bayonet attached. It was cool but standing off hand is pretty tough with a bayonet. I learned a lot from one of the guys there. I can't remember his name or I would thank him.
I had a boatload of jams so my next step is to clean the rifle again, grease up and go to the range for some work. After that, I will try a bit more formal event to try to learn a bit more.