Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 AM

Yes it is 4 miles from my house
Old 01-07-2010, 10:43 AM

Did you attend the match on May 31st? I see a Dave listed. I only made one match there in 09, but I used to be a regular in the past. I`m glad they`re back up and running again. Doc Jones is a good guy.

God grant me the wisdom to accept that which I cannot change, and enough ammunition to hold out until morning.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:13 PM

No I did not make that match
I shoot there during the week sometimes
Dave
Old 01-09-2010, 02:00 AM

Welcome to the net. I just moved from the Peoria area to the LA (lower Alabama) four months ago. I don't miss my FOID card. Here you can actually pick up a rifle at a gun show and look at it without being arrested if you don't show your card. Any more politicians going to jail?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:21 AM

Welcome to LA... americal71
Old 01-09-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americal71 View Post
Welcome to the net. I just moved from the Peoria area to the LA (lower Alabama) four months ago. I don't miss my FOID card. Here you can actually pick up a rifle at a gun show and look at it without being arrested if you don't show your card. Any more politicians going to jail?
Is that pathetic.
One can become a felon in hellinois and lose your right to bear arms everywhere for something that isn't even against the law in most other states.

Anyway welcome guys from another Illinoisan.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:06 PM

Question Question;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Mag View Post
Is that pathetic.
One can become a felon in hellinois and lose your right to bear arms everywhere for something that isn't even against the law in most other states.

Anyway welcome guys from another Illinoisan.

I know of no law forbidding a law abiding citizen from looking at or handling a firearm without a FOID. I believe that has become standard practice at the gun/sport shows in Illinois for the benefit of the dealers and the tire kickers. You may not possess firearms or ammunition in Ill-noise without a FOID. If there is such a law I would be grateful for the information.

The FOID has never prevented me from purchasing or owning any firearm I have wanted. ALL states are required to comply with the NICS. The FOID in Ill-noise serves that purpose, while the drivers license or other forms of ID serve in other states. While dealers are required to insure the purchaser is legally eligible to purchase, per Federal Law, the FOID puts the requirement on the State Police. They after all are the ones who apply and issue the FOID. I have had a FOID since I was nineteen and not yet permitted to vote, by the way. Too, Ill-noise permits FFL's selling to persons from neighboring states if they comply with that states laws, and NICS. Our neighbors do not all reciprocate.

Federal law;
Sale of a firearm by a federally licensed dealer must be documented by a federal form 4473, which identifies and includes other information about the purchaser, and records the make, model, and serial number of the firearm. Sales to an individual of multiple handguns within a five-day period require dealer notification to the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Violations of dealer record keeping requirements are punishable by a penalty of up to $1000 and one year`s imprisonment.

NICS
Mandated by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 and launched by the FBI on November 30, 1998, NICS is used by Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) to instantly determine whether a prospective buyer is eligible to buy firearms or explosives. Before ringing up the sale, cashiers call in a check to the FBI or to other designated agencies to ensure that each customer does not have a criminal record or isn't otherwise ineligible to make a purchase. More than 100 million such checks have been made in the last decade, leading to more than 700,000 denials.

Last edited by CharlieEcho; 01-10-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 01-10-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieEcho View Post
I know of no law forbidding a law abiding citizen from looking at or handling a firearm without a FOID. I believe that has become standard practice at the gun/sport shows in Illinois for the benefit of the dealers and the tire kickers. You may not possess firearms or ammunition in Ill-noise without a FOID. If there is such a law I would be grateful for the information.
The key word here is possession not ownership.If you pick up a firearm or box of ammo the State Police view it as being in your possession even though you do not own it.It's all in the wording.This garbage started with Bolognavich and his head of the Stats Poleizi along with Lisa Madigan.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:14 PM

I believe Krag is correct. I haven't seen the law but even at a gun shop/store the clerk asks for your FOID card before you can hold/handle any firearm.

I was with my son once(15)and I was looking at a Mosin 91/30. I asked if my son could hold/look at the rifle. The clerk told me he can't handle a firearm without a FOID card. So on the way home I stoped at gander mountain and got him a FOID card. For more than one reason, when we are on our way back from the range sometimes I'll stop at the store and legally I cannot leave my son in the truck with firearms or ammo in the back.

It's a possession thing not ownership. Legally he can't own any gun untill 18.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:16 PM

Thumbs up Interpretation;

I suppose it's an interpretation thing. When we speak of possession, the law in Illinois grants exceptions to parents and guardians with regard to our youth, as well as competitors and visitors. This is not the forum to discuss our Illinois laws, but to welcome the new-comers. I just wanted to say the having a FOID has never prevented me from obtaining any firearm I wanted to own.

So, Welcome to CMP everyone.