Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 09:00 PM

A few more, I didn't get a chance to fully disassemble the entire rifle, But, On the somewhat brighter side, There is less rusty parts on the inside.
I will get some pic's of the rear of the receiver and rear sight, Etc.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6185/...ab5ccc10_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6072/...86599c8a_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6081/...41185b49_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6076/...bbd87b4f_b.jpg

Operating rod measured .525" at the end.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6081/...44a6608c_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6062/...ba0a547f_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6202/...f4608a5e_b.jpg

Looks like the barrel is a replacement, It has an even coating, I read somewhere that it could be parkerized?!?
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6064/...75093f31_b.jpg
Old 09-06-2011, 10:48 PM

Thank you for posting the additional pictures. The safety should definetly be replaced. Sadly, the receiver has some severe pitting on the inside. Also, the barrel is badly pitted too. I hope that you didn't pay very much for this rifle. Could I ask, how much it cost? Can you get a refund? Even with a new safety and a new barrel, the best the rifle will ever be is a "shooter grade" Garand. With that much pitting on the receiver and on other parts, there really isn't any way to make it presentable economicaly.

In my opinion, unless you purchased it for a really low price, say $100.00 or so, I wouldn't even consider trying to restore it. Sadly, someone really neglected that rifle. Perhaps you can sell some of the better parts to try to recover some or all of your purchase price. I'd like to see pictures of the rear sight from various angles, you may have an eariler one that would be worth some money. Also, pictures of the bolt and the exterior of the receiver would be helpful to see.
Sorry.

PS: If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure that most if not all of us here have made a similiar purchase or 2 in our collecting days.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:00 PM

VitSports6,
Tsk, tsk, tsk. Your piece is NOT as lost cause but it is a hull of a project to take on unless you are quite experienced. Ditto to virtually all 136th TFS comments. If you can get your money back, you may want to consider it and apply the funds to a CMP piece. If you cannot, depending on the price, one of the guys here (maybe even me a couple of months down range) might be motivated to take on the challenge of your project. 136th TFS os pretty correct in his assessment that it is not in the "collectable" category (sorry), BUT could probably be made into a fine shooter.

Gunny
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 09-07-2011, 08:35 AM

Well crap!
I did pay well over $100, But the barrel was full of old grease or something so I didn't get a chanced to have a good look, I don't think I will be able to return it, It was a private sale, But I will certainly call him.
My intention for this rifle was to be a shooter first and foremost, But obviously it would have been nice to get a diamond in the rough, Everything externally seemed to be in good shape, I really liked the idea of it being a war time rifle.
Perhaps in the near future I will look into a replacement barrel.
Is there a list of Garand Gunsmiths? I will also call around locally to see if I feel good about having them look at it.
I will get the detailed pic's of the sights, Bolt and receiver, I know there is some pitting on the windage knob, But everything works smoothly.
Thanks again for all the info.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:39 AM

I am still curious about the markings on my barrel, Would any of you know what type of replacement barrel it is?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6185/...93755ec9_z.jpg
Old 09-07-2011, 08:41 AM

Get a couple of cans of PB Blaster from the automotive section at WalMart, a bag of 000steel wool, set up a work bench, do a complete disassembly, and clear some time on your calendar. You aren't in North Alabama are you? I love a challenge.
Gunny

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 AM

I'm not sure about barrel markings for ID. You can keep punching and scrubbing to clean it out but pics liik like it may be badly pitted. From what I see in the pics, wood looks good. Any markings in the wood?

-- George Orwell
Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 AM

Thanks again.
I'm in Utah, We have very low humidity here, So generally we don't get much rust, I will see what I can do with the steel wool and PB blaster.
No markings on the wood, But I will give it another look this evening.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:32 AM

I was able to catch my wife before she left for work, She is bringing my Garand to work so I can get started on cleaning it up.
Is there some suggested reading or "how to's" on refurbishing an M1 Garand?
Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:52 PM

Hi Brian,

You've got a real challange there. Based upon the picture of the inside of the barrel, I really believe it's scrap. The pitting looks deep. If your cleaning patches are coming out really black, I believe that is a sign that primer salts have caused the corossion. By the time you find another barrel, have a knowledgeable gunsmith install and headspace it ( and maybe the bolt will have to be replaced to get it to headspace properly), you'll spend $300. to $400. and still have that badly pitted receiver and the other issues to deal with.

I am not familiar with those barrel markings either. SA = Springfield Armory, WRA (on the top I think) = Winchester, LMR = Line Materials (for some International Harvester Garands, HRA = Harrington and Richardson.

Again, I have to say that the rifle is not worth any more of your money or your time either. Sad to say this, but that's how I feel with almost 50 years experience owning Garands and I was also a USAF Armorer during the Viet Nam War.

This probably won't apply to you since it was a private sale, but in the state where I live, COMMERCIAL sales of I think anything carry a warranty from the seller to the buyer that is called MERCHANTIBILITY. This means that the item sold is fit for the purpose that it was intended. Clearly that rifle is not fit for combat use (except in EXTREEEEME emergency).

I would approach the seller in a very nice way, explaining to him that you are not experienced with military rifles and that you thought that since he was selling it, relied upon his integerty, etc. it must be a OK rifle. I doubt that the approach will work, but that would be a first step. If he is any kind of a decent gun person, he'll work something out with you.

If that doesn't work, do you know an attorney who could give a few minutes of his time to explain your rights and remidies. If all else fails, you can sell it part by part on eBay or here. But please give detailed pictures and an explaination of the rusted/damaged parts, etc. You will be able to recover some or all of your money (depending on what you paid for it) from the sale of the wood, trigger housing, trigger guard, bolt, rear sight, etc.

Brian, I feel bad for you. Apparently that seller is a real snake or he wouldn't have stuck you with it. I wish you all the best of luck with it. Please keep us informed.