Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2019, 07:46 PM

Default Barrel Marking on a Field Grade Garand?

I received a Field Grade Garand on 10/3/19. It has a Springfield Armory receiver with serial #269090. According to Duff's book, it was likely manufactured during June of 1941. It has a mix of later SA parts and an HRA safety. It does have an unmarked, milled trigger guard and decent GI wood. TW and MZ readings are pretty good, so I'm pretty pleased with the rifle overall. I'm confused about the barrel making though. I can't find any good reference to these marks, so I figured I'd ask those more knowledgable in the subject. Thanks in advance for your help!

Bravo47

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/5074/CHmInP.jpg
Old 10-13-2019, 07:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

PBS was PENINSULAR BASE STATION and in Italy. And dated when it went through PBS for rebuild/overhaul...10-44
Quote:
Collectors like the PBS stamps on barrels and they are not that common to find

Last edited by Shomway; 10-13-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
PBS was PENINSULAR BASE STATION and in Italy. And dated when it went through PBS for rebuild/overhaul...10-44
That is really neat.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Thanks for the quick response and great information! It is neat getting something a bit out if the ordinary on a luck of the draw. Just got back from a European trip where we visited the Normandy Beaches, Bastogne, the Hurtgen Forest, and Remagen Bridge. My son-in-law expressed an interest in getting a Garand after we got home, so I ordered one to eventually transfer to him. His Grandfather was with the 280th Field Artillery batallion and his great uncle was with the 101st Airborne, 506 PIR, E company, so it's kind of neat to have a Garand with some of its own history!

Bravo47