Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2018, 12:41 PM

Default Unmarked TRACERS in Loose HXP

Just a FYI so you don't unsuspectedly start a fire, I was going through a can of the loose HXP floor sweepings I bought several years back and noticed 3 rounds that had an extra cannelure above the case neck. I could also clearly see a second cannelure where the round was crimped at. I suspected they were tracers so I pulled them and sure enough they were. I didn't take any pictures but for those interested in what it looked like I did a search and found this online. Looks like this but there is no paint on the tip of the bullet.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=28&ajaxhist=0
Old 01-12-2018, 03:36 PM

Years ago I bought 2 spam cans of Chinese Army 8mm ammunition. The first one I opened had a 7.7mm Japanese cartridge just laying loose on the top row of the 8mm cartridges. Never know about Chinese stuff. By the way, the 8mm was a stiff loading and shot hot in my Mausers.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:27 PM

Found 8 more tracers. I only bought 3 cans of the floor sweepings but I'll have to go back through and double check the rest of it. Most of it is clipped up and ready to go.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:18 AM

How are the cases marked? HXP? I found one like you did with the loose cartridge offering a few years back, but I recall the headstamp was not HXP. I notice some traces of the red tip, but it also had the double cannelure.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:46 AM

Ive had some over the years too. Im sure they just slipped through the cracks. Always a good idea to inspect your loose hxp though
Old 01-15-2018, 09:58 AM

A few years ago I cleaned and sorted all of my loose HXP by year into 200 round lots. All of the HXP was dated between 1962 and 1982. While sorting I found 3 or 4 tracer rounds and a few what I assume are corrosive rounds from the 1950s with head stamps I didn't recognize. I even found 1 or 2 WWII rounds. Always good to check IMHO.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:13 PM

Back in the day when it was .50 round, I bought a few cans of the loose. Inspected every round, wiped them down, and sorted by year. I had a few bent rounds, a couple with serious dents, and 2 or 3 tracers. The tracers all had orange tips, one without the 2nd cannelure, USGI headstamps. Interesting that you found some without orange tips. What was the headstamp on your tracers? If there were HXP tracers without the cannelure/paint those would be impossible to pick out. Goes to show that it pays to be thorough and inspect every round the best you can.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:35 PM

While firing some gunshow HXP, I found 2 rounds of FA marked API. I did not find them before firing, but after. Pretty sure the paint was worn off, I probably would have spotted these. This was mixed HXP dates of unknown provenance and I intended it for plinking only, so never sorted it carefully. Just loaded it into clips and went to the range. I cannot say whether this ammo shipped as such from CMP or had been mixed after the fact. Fortunately I was firing into wet gravel, not an SR target on a carrier. Sure would have woken up the pits. A short impact or combustables on the impact berm could have turned into a very serious situation. Know your ammo!

Last edited by Polaris; 01-15-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSnlB28 View Post
Back in the day when it was .50 round, I bought a few cans of the loose. Inspected every round, wiped them down, and sorted by year. I had a few bent rounds, a couple with serious dents, and 2 or 3 tracers. The tracers all had orange tips, one without the 2nd cannelure, USGI headstamps. Interesting that you found some without orange tips. What was the headstamp on your tracers? If there were HXP tracers without the cannelure/paint those would be impossible to pick out. Goes to show that it pays to be thorough and inspect every round the best you can.
I went through all 3 cans of the loose I bought when it was cheap, and mainly for the brass after I had fun plinking. I only found the first tracer by accident. The light hit the second cannelure just right so then I started paying close attention. I quite buying it because the three cans of ammo I got were filthy, fingers would be black after handling 10 rounds so I was wiping them off when I noticed the first one. The tracers didn't have a speck of paint on the tip and were mixed years of HXP. I think it was mainly HXP 77. Even had one tracer clipped up ready to go. I did find a few 1950's TW ball rounds but they are non-corrosive. Glad I didn't have any surprises and have to run down range to put out a fire or worse. Where I shoot it wouldn't take much for a fire to quickly turn into an inferno and buy the time any support would arrive, you'd be screwed. I've seen a fire started by 223 tracers there and the moron didn't learn the first time. He ran down and quickly got it out before anyone else got there but proceeded to start another fire right after by firing more tracers. Thankfully that one was quickly put out and it wasn't windy then. He decided not to push the luck any further!