Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2018, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtC View Post
Consistency is the important part. Match rifles must be able to hold 10 shots in the group, for several consecutive groups. 3 or 5 don't mean much.

A Super Match is also designed to shoot MOA at 800 yds with match grade ammuntion. A 16.5 inch barrel and surplus ammo won't do that. You need a longer barrel to get the proper velocity with 168's or 175's. Longer barrels create more whip. That's where the heavy barrel and draw pressure come into play.
Thank you for your straight forward answer.
I think I have that covered with my Smith Enterprise "Crazy Horse" M21A5, it's a medium heavy 22" barrel with a 1:10 twist.

Last edited by H2O MAN; 01-19-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGW006 View Post
Hi, as I'm waiting to get my Garands' built, I'm interested in getting a top shelf M1A also. I know much less about the M1A than the Garand. My goal for an M1A would be top shelf all the way through the rifle: accuracy, trigger, fit, aesthetics, . . . everything about the rifle that makes is a joy to just look at, a pleasure to shoot, and friends envious that its beauty is surpassed by its accuracy.

I'm sure I can just by a Springfield Super Match, but will that meet all my criteria (including AAA furniture)? Or do I get a base model Springfield M1A and send it to one of the top builders to work their magic on it?

I'm not shooting in the sandbox (unless I catch a cat in it!), so I don't need "sandbox" level durability, but I still want that as well.

Ideas / references to builders? I don't mind spending for top quality.

JGW
Texas State Rifle Association has many still regularly shooting their M14 competition rifles. And the senior members often started with the M14 in the military, then moved into competition. I’d go to an NRA XTC Match and ask participants what they used, where they got their rifle, so forth. Of course, all this presumes you want a service rifle configuration that will perform across the course.

When I started NRA XTC Matches, several TSRA Master and High Master competitors gave me great pointers on the rifle and XTC strategy. One recommended an armorer, Alan Dale Hurt of Dickson, TN. Alan’s worked on several M14 and M1 Garands for me and other shooters at my club. Everything’s top drawer with the result: fit, finish, aesthetics, and performance. He has worked on a variety of receivers; he’ll tell you whether the one you send him will meet expectations.

Some excellent points raised in this thread, including from KurtC, Grateful Patriot, and nf1e

Last edited by arcticdog; 02-04-2018 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added clarification
Old 03-12-2018, 03:54 PM

I wanted to shoot competitively, but didn’t know what I didn’t know, about the platform.
I bought a used, SAI Super Match laser gun, in a McMillan stock, 300k serial range. It’s guaranteed forever. If and when I decide to sell it, I’ll get about what I paid for it, $2200.

Last edited by ColdWarPigGnR; 03-12-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Banned

If you mean LRB arms. They make a great firearm. my neighbor bought one a year ago. He's not into shooting it much so I cant tell you performance numbers. I own a Sprinfield armory NM stainless model. I bought it new just last year. It needed quite a bit of gunsmithing to get it up to par. The op rod was nicked up, it "double fired" frequently (a trigger group problem), the handguard was too long and the gas system needed shims making the groups string after the barrel warmed up. (I personally know of 2 SA NM rifles that had this same problem. I replaced alot of the components with USGI and had them fitted to my rifle. (I used components from LRB arms) Now I couldn't be happier. 3/8 to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards scoped from the bench. I have heard worse horror stories about some Springfield super match rifles. Things like barrels loctited into recievers but still loose. Or rear sights that move on their own. I think I got off easy. Springfield does a pretty good bedding job on their rifles though. And maybe others will chime in who have had success with the new Springfields
Old 03-13-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinholeshoot View Post
If you mean LRB arms. They make a great firearm. my neighbor bought one a year ago. He's not into shooting it much so I cant tell you performance numbers. I own a Sprinfield armory NM stainless model. I bought it new just last year. It needed quite a bit of gunsmithing to get it up to par. The op rod was nicked up, it "double fired" frequently (a trigger group problem), the handguard was too long and the gas system needed shims making the groups string after the barrel warmed up. (I personally know of 2 SA NM rifles that had this same problem. I replaced alot of the components with USGI and had them fitted to my rifle. (I used components from LRB arms) Now I couldn't be happier. 3/8 to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards scoped from the bench. I have heard worse horror stories about some Springfield super match rifles. Things like barrels loctited into recievers but still loose. Or rear sights that move on their own. I think I got off easy. Springfield does a pretty good bedding job on their rifles though. And maybe others will chime in who have had success with the new Springfields
Wow. Your rifle is shooting better than 1/2 the size groups of any NM or Custom M1A I have heard of or shot against. Better hang on to that one for sure. Are you really talking 100 yards or 10 yards?

Semper Fi
Art
Old 03-13-2018, 07:51 PM

Art-still like my Bula
Old 03-13-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceguy View Post
Art-still like my Bula

That makes at least 2 of us.

Semper Fi
Art