Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2014, 07:57 PM

A cast will last 65,000 plus rd. and that's about 3-4barrels. .A forged maybe a few thousand more and still 3-4 barrels.Who cares?????
Old 09-03-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I do not want to get into the debate of forged or cast receivers but dont think its fair to call cast "cheap" Yes the are less expensive to manufacture and purchase . You calling them "cheap" makes it sound as though the will fail prematurly . I havent ever heard of anyone wearing out a cast M1A receiver or reports of them failing
I have M1A's built on a 2001 SAI and 2013 Fulton receivers with all USGI parts and I have had no issues with either
I would be more concerned about the commercial parts that come on todays M1A rifles. They seem to be prone to breakage/problems
I agree with Orlando. I don't particularly care whether the receiver is cast, forged, or machined from a billet (though a good forged receiver may be slightly preferred). What I do care about is the quality of manufacturing and machining, acceptable tolerance levels, proper heat treat and adherance to some kind of dimensions that work, whether they be USGI or some kind of semi-auto M14 dimensions that work correctly. I'd rather have a good cast receiver than a bad forged one, or a good forged one versus a bad cast example,

The other thing that matters is the build quality. The best receiver going is not much help if it is put together by some hack. A really great builder could probably overcome a lot of issues on a cheaper receiver and come out ok.

Danny

Harrington &Richardson 5,549,399.

I would drive right past the CMP "shoots" at Camp Perry to attend the National Matches.
"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts that you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:56 PM

Danny hit the nail.

Any factory assembled rifle will be different than a receiver built up by a NM armorer. Beware the shade tree types coupled with oh I never fired it. That includes all receivers.

Sadly, very few of the "military" trained NM M14 armorers are either alive or still in the business.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:13 AM

Over the years I've owned at a mimimum 10-12 SAI M1A's...in various configs from pre bans to post bans, collector models, national matches, standard M1A's, "loaded M1As, even a US Army armorer match tuned example. Granted, I didn't shoot any of them as much as some people here. Someone made reference to the fact they've had warranty work done on all SAI M1A's they've owned, well I've never had to have anything done to any of mine.

Springfield Armory has been making M1A's for about 40 years now or there abouts. They offer a lifetime warranty - and stand behind their products. I have no doubt that they will still be making them decades from now and still standing behind their product (unless the political winds are such that we are all screwed but then I digress). The point is that I DO NOT have the same faith that any other company will still be making them and still standing behind them decades from now. Many company's have made M14 style rifles over the last 40 years - only one has persisted thru that time, is still in that business, and offers a lifetime warranty and support.

In time, "warranty" support for LRB, James River, Fulton, Rockola will be the same as it is today for owners of Armscorp, Federal Ordnance, Enterprise, Norinco, and Polytech - the money in your pocket and whatever gunsmith will work on it at your behest...but Springfield will still be trudging along and standing behind those M1As...that means more to me than a supposed strength of a forged receiver over cast when I will never in my lifetime shoot a rifle enough where there will be any discernible difference.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I do not want to get into the debate of forged or cast receivers but dont think its fair to call cast "cheap" Yes the are less expensive to manufacture and purchase . You calling them "cheap" makes it sound as though the will fail prematurly . I havent ever heard of anyone wearing out a cast M1A receiver or reports of them failing
I have M1A's built on a 2001 SAI and 2013 Fulton receivers with all USGI parts and I have had no issues with either
I would be more concerned about the commercial parts that come on todays M1A rifles. They seem to be prone to breakage/problems
My apologies for using the word cheap. I meant less expensive. The debate over cast and forged was beaten to death years ago. We have choices and I have a habit of making mine known. From the knowledge I have gleaned over the years, SAIs big problem has not been their receivers, but the parts they attach to them.
To the OP, yep Rock-Olas are good to go.
Happy Daze
Art
Old 09-04-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
I still dont see what makes them better in a practical standpoint. Yes they are stronger than a sai cast reciever. But sai builds equally accurate guns at half the cost with recievers that stand up to more rounds than any of us will ever shoot. And if the reciever fails they fix it for free forever. I have a hard time saying something is better when the end result is the same
Last time I looked $1459.00 is not half of $2195.00
If it does fail, do you want to be the one shooting it? or would you rather it be your grandson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
+1

Same self grandiosity crew here. Somehow the discussion always ends up the same, a game of which corner works for you.
I don't work for any of those makers and neither does Art, as far as I know.
"Tools".....That's the key here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofM1 View Post
A cast will last 65,000 plus rd. and that's about 3-4barrels. .A forged maybe a few thousand more and still 3-4 barrels.Who cares?????
Maybe the person that ends up with it next, or next will care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
Danny hit the nail.

Any factory assembled rifle will be different than a receiver built up by a NM armorer. Beware the shade tree types coupled with oh I never fired it. That includes all receivers.

Sadly, very few of the "military" trained NM M14 armorers are either alive or still in the business.
Funny, I have never met a "military" trained NM M14 armorer. Do you know the MOS for that job?

Maybe you should ask Bamban or Geeck or MineralMan55 about how good those so called "NM military" armorers really are. Strange that (NM armorer) builds keep turning up in my shop to be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlB View Post
Over the years I've owned at a mimimum 10-12 SAI M1A's...in various configs from pre bans to post bans, collector models, national matches, standard M1A's, "loaded M1As, even a US Army armorer match tuned example. Granted, I didn't shoot any of them as much as some people here. Someone made reference to the fact they've had warranty work done on all SAI M1A's they've owned, well I've never had to have anything done to any of mine.

Springfield Armory has been making M1A's for about 40 years now or there abouts. They offer a lifetime warranty - and stand behind their products. I have no doubt that they will still be making them decades from now and still standing behind their product (unless the political winds are such that we are all screwed but then I digress). The point is that I DO NOT have the same faith that any other company will still be making them and still standing behind them decades from now. Many company's have made M14 style rifles over the last 40 years - only one has persisted thru that time, is still in that business, and offers a lifetime warranty and support.

In time, "warranty" support for LRB, James River, Fulton, Rockola will be the same as it is today for owners of Armscorp, Federal Ordnance, Enterprise, Norinco, and Polytech - the money in your pocket and whatever gunsmith will work on it at your behest...but Springfield will still be trudging along and standing behind those M1As...that means more to me than a supposed strength of a forged receiver over cast when I will never in my lifetime shoot a rifle enough where there will be any discernible difference.
While your point is well taken, you must consider as I wrote above, who will get the rifle next in line and will they be as confident. After all the destroyed cast receiver I have seen, the heels blown off, the pile of splinters left after one has let go, I think I will hand down drop hammer forged receivers to my Grandchildren.

Anyone that hasn't heard of an SAI receiver being destroyed is not listening very well.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:30 AM

Thanks Rip.
You have more energy than I when it comes to helping folks understand the rifle.
I do chuckle when I read some of the uninformed posts.
Seems like there are just a few characters that like to be negative about M14 people trying to help one another. All one can do is attempt to distribute good information in the hopes that it gets to the people that are really interested.
Please gents, no make wee wee on thread. The OP asked a very reasonable question. Could have been simply answered with a yes.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14 View Post

Funny, I have never met a "military" trained NM M14 armorer. Do you know the MOS for that job?

Maybe you should ask Bamban or Geeck or MineralMan55 about how good those so called "NM military" armorers really are. Strange that (NM armorer) builds keep turning up in my shop to be fixed.
USMC MOS 2112?

Danny

Harrington &Richardson 5,549,399.

I would drive right past the CMP "shoots" at Camp Perry to attend the National Matches.
"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts that you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
USMC MOS 2112?

Danny
Yup...Among others, but whats the effort worth.

Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 09-04-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:35 PM

2112 has nothing to do with a " NM M14 trained armorer". You might find a 2112 that knows about the rifle, but he generally would do repairs and maintenance on other weapons and not specialize in the M14. Who knows, times are a changing, there may be a few dinosaurs left.
Semper Fi
Art