Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustro79 View Post
Polaris, great info. I happen to have around 700 of the 155 noslers and 4064 so I'm good there. I presume that you don't crimp... I typically use CCI 200 primers in the bolt guns...any particular reason for the Fed?
I agree on 4064: it is shaping up to be a MVP powder that shoots either great or good in the largest percentage of my rifles, both bolt and semi-auto.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Just used the Fed 210 match primers as that's what I had for "match" loads. They worked, so I stuck with them. In an iron sighted military rifle, I doubt I could tell the difference vs. Non match primers though unless the load was particularly fussy. This one seems not to be in my rifles. I've moved around the powder charge finding 200 and 100 yard zeros for my rifle and the groups held up. Try your CCIs first and see if you get the results you're looking for
Old 01-19-2018, 04:28 PM

I have a lot of gp11 ammo so I don't worry much but the ammo seems to have ebbs and flows in production so it could and has been hard to find and pricy at times for the K31s. 30-06 can be made at the drop of a cam. The gp11 is a bit harder to recreate but can be done well with time and care. Much more persnickety than 30-06 reloads in my opinion. Btw I use an eddystone with very nice results.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon762 View Post

Extra original mags? A hundred bucks each- when you can find them...But I found repro K31 mags on Keepshootin.com:

https://www.keepshooting.com/schmidt...-magazine.html

I bought 3. They work well.
The Swiss rarely removed the magazines from their straight pulls.

Buy a couple of the paper-and-tinplate chargers. They will only cost you about $5 each. They used to be thrown away by the Swiss. Fifteen years ago, the importers would give them away for free with the purchase of a case of ammo.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:59 PM

The extra magazine is the way to go from my limited match experience. Eliminates that 6 round charging issue caused by the length of thumb that has to be inserted to get that last round in. Can cause a much disliked fumble.

PS: the chargers run $15 to $20 now for original. Some good polymer ones available now but they are also $15 and up. ...3D printed ones are being tried.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
The extra magazine is the way to go from my limited match experience. Eliminates that 6 round charging issue caused by the length of thumb that has to be inserted to get that last round in. Can cause a much disliked fumble.

PS: the chargers run $15 to $20 now for original. Some good polymer ones available now but they are also $15 and up. ...3D printed ones are being tried.
Why not fire 4 then reload 6 with the charger?

Old 01-21-2018, 08:24 PM

Default K31 or 1903A3 For a Bolt Gun to use in CMP Games

You can, but like I was saying above that sixth round above it isnít always cooperative. You have to really get your thumb down in there to get it pushed in and chances are it gets miss fed ever so often in the heat of battle. I just think itís something worth eliminating from a match. The mag chance is smoother and less prone to mess-ups in my limited experience.

Last edited by Stewbaby; 01-21-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:28 PM

I single load 5 rounds during the "stand" command, because nobody is "ready on the firing line"

Use 5 in the Swiss stripper on the reload and it goes like butter

4 and 6 doesn't work

Also the rules say 5 and 5.....
Old 01-22-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K31Schmidt View Post
I single load 5 rounds during the "stand" command, because nobody is "ready on the firing line"

Use 5 in the Swiss stripper on the reload and it goes like butter

4 and 6 doesn't work

Also the rules say 5 and 5.....
Ok well I guess there is a good reason. [emoji16]

Old 01-23-2018, 06:22 AM

Someone, perhaps here, explained how to glue short sections of 1/2 in dowel rod into the top of the clip. I have done so, marked them with a big marker and use them for matches. There are also aftermarket clips made of some polymer material, but they still hold 6.

Jess
Old 01-23-2018, 11:42 AM

I own multiple K-31s so I share magazines. When I did use chargers, I found 5 and 5 to work well. When you bend the little tabs in a bit, it will index 5 rounds properly without any additional mods.

Per our local Swiss match club, and an email I exchange with RUAG, GP11 is no longer produced, the tooling has been sold to foreign entities so no future production is possible. Remaining stores are limited, and may dry up completely quite soon. A decision is currently in the works whether to allow non-standard ammunition to continue in use for the K-31 and PE57 type rifles in use by official Swiss clubs in Switzerland and abroad as the supply dries up. We are unlikely to see any future imports of GP11 for the US commercial market, as it is controlled by the Swiss military and export is prioritized to Swiss rifle clubs. These rifles do respond well to handloading with the proper bullets at the correct COL for the rifles. GP11 is very high quality, but not the mythical status some would give it. Probably comparable to the various runs of LC match in 7.62 and .30, some lots are not this good. Shooting the same rifle on the same 300m targets, often on the same day, my 155 grain handload consistently puts up better scores than GP11. Will be happy when our current lot at the Swiss club is expended, it is one of the "bad" ones. An 8 in every box!

Last edited by Polaris; 01-23-2018 at 11:50 AM.