Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-28-2017, 01:33 PM
seabreeze133 seabreeze133 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holiday Island Arkansas
Posts: 52
Default ADVICE ON PURCHASE OF Springfield M1A SCOUT 18 308 FDE

Considering a new Springfield M1A SCOUT 18 308 FDE and would like advice/experience with the 18" barrel and reliability of the rifle. Gotta go bang each time trigger is pulled.

Accuracy?

Thanks

seabreeze
__________________
USMCR 1956 to 1962.
USNR Seabee 1987 to 1999.
As a reserve Marine in the late 50's and early 60's, we were taught do not kick in the door, (by WWII marines) u first try a grenade and if that does not seem adequate, a satchel charge may work. If not try to find a tank....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-28-2017, 03:43 PM
H2O MAN H2O MAN is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 282
Default

Before buying new in the box, I would shop the secondary market for a nice pre-owned Bush / Scout / MK14. Any bugs should have already been worked out by the previous owner.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-28-2017, 07:32 PM
ZvenoMan ZvenoMan is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: AL
Posts: 3,045
Default

Why are you buying it?
Most consider the M14 to be a battle rifle, so pay for the full barrel and don't look back.
If you want something shorter there are plenty of lighter, newer options.

You ask about accuracy. It should hit what it's aimed at quite well. But you don't buy a shorter version of a rifle to expect more accuracy.

They shoot well, they look nice; for most (who have no real "need") it should look great in the herd. value won't drop, known quality + warranty....
Me-7.62= 300+ meters, full size rifle. Anything <300m I'll look for a lighter and more mobile rifle.
JMHO

JH
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-29-2017, 04:43 AM
nf1e nf1e is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Why are you buying it?
Most consider the M14 to be a battle rifle, so pay for the full barrel and don't look back.
If you want something shorter there are plenty of lighter, newer options.

You ask about accuracy. It should hit what it's aimed at quite well. But you don't buy a shorter version of a rifle to expect more accuracy.

They shoot well, they look nice; for most (who have no real "need") it should look great in the herd. value won't drop, known quality + warranty....
Me-7.62= 300+ meters, full size rifle. Anything <300m I'll look for a lighter and more mobile rifle.
JMHO

JH
^^^^ This
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-29-2017, 05:31 AM
H2O MAN H2O MAN is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 282
Default

The 18" barrel is battle proven, and it is the best alternative to the retro 22" barrel. Most people have no real "need" for the 22" barrel, and the short barrel is more rigid than a standard 22" barrel making it more accurate. Also, don't expect the 18" to be lighter than the 22".

Last edited by H2O MAN; 12-29-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-29-2017, 07:22 AM
howardhuge howardhuge is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: nc
Posts: 1,183
Default

Had a NIB Scout Bought in 2009, 2 major issues with it out the box, customer service was awful ( but it has a lifetime warranty) as the issue was not resolved. sold it. Me...I own several m1a types, Older SAInc ( under 100ksn) and LRB. New SAInc stuff is just ... .well... Nuf said.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-29-2017, 07:27 AM
H2O MAN H2O MAN is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 282
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardhuge View Post
Had a NIB Scout Bought in 2009, 2 major issues with it out the box, customer service was awful ( but it has a lifetime warranty) as the issue was not resolved. sold it. Me...I own several m1a types, Older SAInc ( under 100ksn) and LRB. New SAInc stuff is just ... .well... Nuf said.
Similar story here as my NIB 2000 Scout was a basket case right out of the box, even after 4 warranty repairs. Smith Enterprise finally got it running reliably, and that's when I decided to part it out and have SEI custom build M14s for me.

These Smith Enterprise builds have been flawless.

Last edited by H2O MAN; 12-29-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-29-2017, 03:33 PM
old sagarand old sagarand is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Why are you buying it?
Most consider the M14 to be a battle rifle, so pay for the full barrel and don't look back.
If you want something shorter there are plenty of lighter, newer and probably cheaper options.

You ask about accuracy. It should hit what it's aimed at quite well. But you don't buy a shorter version of a rifle to expect more accuracy.

They shoot well, they look nice; for most (who have no real "need") it should look great in the herd. value won't drop, known quality + warranty....
Me-7.62= 300+ meters, full size rifle. Anything <300m I'll look for a lighter and more mobile rifle.
JMHO

JH
I purchased a new SAI rifle several years back and well, I haven't looked at anything of theirs since. Having to send a brand new rifle back before you fire a 10 round mag leaves a sour taste that's hard to get rid of. Sent it back to them and sold it when they returned it to me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-29-2017, 05:04 PM
ZvenoMan ZvenoMan is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: AL
Posts: 3,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old sagarand View Post
I purchased a new SAI rifle several years back and well, I haven't looked at anything of theirs since. Having to send a brand new rifle back before you fire a 10 round mag leaves a sour taste that's hard to get rid of. Sent it back to them and sold it when they returned it to me.
I am pretty sure all manufacturers have QC issues. SAI couldn't offer a lifetime warranty if the product didn't warrant such. But I have heard of people having a hiccup occasionally, like everything else.

My point was a "regular" M14 will probably cost less than one of the sawed off ones. All other things considered of course.

Held a few of the short ones, no desire to part with cash. From the posts above it seems like they lack the reliability of the as-issued parts.
I have received a new firearm that had problems on more than one occasion, hard to get past that letdown.
Buy milsurps, then issues are easy to address and part of the fun.
JH
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-29-2017, 05:29 PM
H2O MAN H2O MAN is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post

Held a few of the short ones, no desire to part with cash. From the posts above it seems like they lack the reliability of the as-issued parts.
Just the Springfield M1As, short barreled M14s assembled by LRB, BULA, SEI, FA, etc...they don't have the reliability issues M1As have.
Of course this makes sense, because 3 out of 4 M14 type rifles ever sold are Springfield M1As

Last edited by H2O MAN; 01-08-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.