Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2017, 01:33 PM

Default ADVICE ON PURCHASE OF Springfield M1A SCOUT 18 308 FDE

Considering a new Springfield M1A SCOUT 18 308 FDE and would like advice/experience with the 18" barrel and reliability of the rifle. Gotta go bang each time trigger is pulled.

Accuracy?

Thanks

seabreeze
As a reserve Marine in the late 50's and early 60's, we were taught do not kick in the door, (by WWII marines) u first try a grenade and if that does not seem adequate, a satchel charge may work. If not try to find a tank....
Old 12-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Banned

Before buying new in the box, I would shop the secondary market for a nice pre-owned Bush / Scout / MK14. Any bugs should have already been worked out by the previous owner.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:32 PM

Why are you buying it?
Most consider the M14 to be a battle rifle, so pay for the full barrel and don't look back.
If you want something shorter there are plenty of lighter, newer options.

You ask about accuracy. It should hit what it's aimed at quite well. But you don't buy a shorter version of a rifle to expect more accuracy.

They shoot well, they look nice; for most (who have no real "need") it should look great in the herd. value won't drop, known quality + warranty....
Me-7.62= 300+ meters, full size rifle. Anything <300m I'll look for a lighter and more mobile rifle.
JMHO

JH
Old 12-29-2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Why are you buying it?
Most consider the M14 to be a battle rifle, so pay for the full barrel and don't look back.
If you want something shorter there are plenty of lighter, newer options.

You ask about accuracy. It should hit what it's aimed at quite well. But you don't buy a shorter version of a rifle to expect more accuracy.

They shoot well, they look nice; for most (who have no real "need") it should look great in the herd. value won't drop, known quality + warranty....
Me-7.62= 300+ meters, full size rifle. Anything <300m I'll look for a lighter and more mobile rifle.
JMHO

JH
^^^^ This
Old 12-29-2017, 05:31 AM
Banned

The 18" barrel is battle proven, and it is the best alternative to the retro 22" barrel. Most people have no real "need" for the 22" barrel, and the short barrel is more rigid than a standard 22" barrel making it more accurate. Also, don't expect the 18" to be lighter than the 22".

Last edited by H2O MAN; 12-29-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:22 AM

Had a NIB Scout Bought in 2009, 2 major issues with it out the box, customer service was awful ( but it has a lifetime warranty) as the issue was not resolved. sold it. Me...I own several m1a types, Older SAInc ( under 100ksn) and LRB. New SAInc stuff is just ... .well... Nuf said.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:27 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardhuge View Post
Had a NIB Scout Bought in 2009, 2 major issues with it out the box, customer service was awful ( but it has a lifetime warranty) as the issue was not resolved. sold it. Me...I own several m1a types, Older SAInc ( under 100ksn) and LRB. New SAInc stuff is just ... .well... Nuf said.
Similar story here as my NIB 2000 Scout was a basket case right out of the box, even after 4 warranty repairs. Smith Enterprise finally got it running reliably, and that's when I decided to part it out and have SEI custom build M14s for me.

These Smith Enterprise builds have been flawless.

Last edited by H2O MAN; 12-29-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Why are you buying it?
If you want something shorter there are plenty of lighter, newer and probably cheaper options.

JMHO

JH
I purchased a new SAI rifle several years back and well, I haven't looked at anything of theirs since. Having to send a brand new rifle back before you fire a 10 round mag leaves a sour taste that's hard to get rid of. Sent it back to them and sold it when they returned it to me.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old sagarand View Post
I purchased a new SAI rifle several years back and well, I haven't looked at anything of theirs since. Having to send a brand new rifle back before you fire a 10 round mag leaves a sour taste that's hard to get rid of. Sent it back to them and sold it when they returned it to me.
I am pretty sure all manufacturers have QC issues. SAI couldn't offer a lifetime warranty if the product didn't warrant such. But I have heard of people having a hiccup occasionally, like everything else.

My point was a "regular" M14 will probably cost less than one of the sawed off ones. All other things considered of course.

Held a few of the short ones, no desire to part with cash. From the posts above it seems like they lack the reliability of the as-issued parts.
I have received a new firearm that had problems on more than one occasion, hard to get past that letdown.
Buy milsurps, then issues are easy to address and part of the fun.
JH
Old 12-29-2017, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:

Held a few of the short ones, no desire to part with cash. From the posts above it seems like they lack the reliability of the as-issued parts.
Just the Springfield M1As, short barreled M14s assembled by LRB, BULA, SEI, FA, etc...they don't have the reliability issues M1As have.
Of course this makes sense, because 3 out of 4 M14 type rifles ever sold are Springfield M1As

Last edited by H2O MAN; 01-08-2018 at 12:05 PM.