Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2018, 06:37 AM

Default Advice on JRA BM-59 Purchase

Does anyone on the forums own the BM59 made by JRA? I am looking for a first hand review of the rifle. I have been scouring what little reviews exist of this rifle online to include youtube, m14forums, and CMP forums but have not come up with a good honest review of this rifle. I understand it has a cast receiver/ US barrel built with original Italian parts and costs roughly $1199.00 plus $40 per magazine.

The downside of the BM59 is the future availability of parts/magazines when the kits dry up. I cannot afford a rifle made by Shuff's but would love one as he does beautiful work.

Who makes the JRA barrel?
What accuracy should I expect? 3-4 MOA @ 100?
Any issues with a cast receiver?

The other options on the table are waiting for the eventual release of Philippines CMP rifles /1911's this year (hopefully)
Purchase 2x SG CMP Rifles and roll the dice mail order.

Last edited by mrhunt14; 01-14-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:07 AM

I had a Beretta BM 59 and 62... flawless quality throughout...even the mag has a chromed follower and Thick metal in its construction. I Know Little about Bula receiver other then they are Forged not cast on the M14 type. Sarco is selling cast receivers for their BM 59 kits...which have been well picked over the years. My .02 cents is research who Makes quality receivers on other forums. I would NOT...NOT get involved with the BM 59/62 today...parts long gone, expensive Mags and hard to find in good shape...it was limited import 25 years ago...even more now. Nothing says "OPPS" like a broken part on that BM 59 and no one has it...except Museums and the Italian Armys Armory outside Rome.

Last edited by howardhuge; 01-14-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:42 AM

I'm a BM59 guy, have been for many years. Some reports I've read say the JRA guns work well, others not so much. The barrel issues was Bula's fault, so I won't blame JRA for it, but JRA's casting and machining is off-spec by their own admission.
I would buy a FG or SG, sell off the unneeded parts, and have Shuff machine the GI receiver. In fact, that's what I did for mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardhuge View Post
I had a Beretta BM 59 and 62... flawless quality throughout...even the mag has a chromed follower and Thick metal in its construction. I Know Little about Bula receiver other then they are Forged not cast on the M14 type. Sarco is selling cast receivers for their BM 59 kits...which have been well picked over the years. My .02 cents is research the Makes quality on other forums. I would NOT...NOT get involved with the BM 59/62 today...parts long gone, expensive Mags and hard to find in good shape...it was limited import 25 years ago...even more now. Nothing says "OPPS" like a broken part on that BM 59 and no one has it...except Museums and the Italian Armys Armory outside Rome.
The JRA BM59s are using the same raw casting as many others, it is not a Bula forging like their M14 offerings.
Most parts are modified Garand pieces, so they're around in quantity if you learn the interchanges.

Eli
Old 01-14-2018, 12:19 PM

I have yet to see an actual positive review of the JRA BM59. I do know that brand new ones come in to Shuff’s shop regularly because they simply don’t run. Major issues include oprod tracks that are so too large in back and too narrow in front, making t about impossible to fit an oprod. Depending on the receiver, the mags may flop around loosely when installed or may require two men and a boy to ram on into place. A former JRA employee that made these is active on a Facebook BM 59 page. His advice: “do not buy these”
Old 01-14-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I would NOT...NOT get involved with the BM 59/62 today...parts long gone, expensive Mags and hard to find in good shape...it was limited import 25 years ago...even more now. Nothing says "OPPS" like a broken part on that BM 59 and no one has it...except Museums and the Italian Armys Armory outside Rome.
Mags hard to find in good shape ?
Seriously?

New in the wrap to like new can still be found for $40~$50 if you look and its still the best 7.62 magazine ever produced bar none.

Northridge still might have the unadvertised 3 pack of new in the wrap mags for $100......

Original BM59 parts are modified GARAND parts until Beretta started making their own parts. Right now there are more Beretta parts new to like new available than M1 parts that dried up a while ago and no worries about either rifle to keep running.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM

So to be clear Bula produces the Bm 59 rifles and sells through James river????? the same Bula that makes the M14 Type rifle with a Forged Receiver????.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
So to be clear Bula produces the Bm 59 rifles and sells through James river????? the same Bula that makes the M14 Type rifle with a Forged Receiver????.
Negative.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:14 PM

If you have a burning need, go with Shufflin and don’t look back.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhunt14 View Post
Does anyone on the forums own the BM59 made by JRA? I am looking for a first hand review of the rifle. I have been scouring what little reviews exist of this rifle online to include youtube, m14forums, and CMP forums but have not come up with a good honest review of this rifle.

I cannot afford a rifle made by Shuff's but would love one as he does beautiful work.

Who makes the JRA barrel?
What accuracy should I expect? 3-4 MOA @ 100?
Any issues with a cast receiver?

Comes down to one issue I guess. Warranty. Many purchase SA, INC M14 clones based on price point with what has been a lifetime warranty which pretty much eliminates risk.

Have never heard what the warranty is for the JRA BM59's.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:30 PM

Save your $$$ and when you can swing it let Shuff do your build. He warranties the receiver mods for life