Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-15-2018, 03:05 PM
tyler9274 tyler9274 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 109
Default SA M1A Loaded or JRA M14?

I'm looking into getting an M1A/M14 with tax return season approaching. I've narrowed down my choices to a new production loaded M1A or a James River Armory M14. Both are about $1500. Id be mounting a scope and using it for recreational shooting and hunting. I finally found a gun club to join within driving distance that has ranges out to 600yds. I'm new to the M1A/M14 platform so any advice would be greatly appreciated!


https://www.classicfirearms.com/m14-...bula-parts-jra

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+carbon+barrel
(would be $1500 with my military discount)

Which one would you recommend for a first time M1A/M14 buyer?!
__________________
Tyler D
SSGT @ USAF Civil Engineering-Power Pro
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-15-2018, 03:43 PM
nf1e nf1e is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,919
Default

The James River without a doubt.
Very close to USGI as far as tolerances and construction material.
Great folks to work with as a bonus.

Semper Fi
Art
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-15-2018, 04:27 PM
tyler9274 tyler9274 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
The James River without a doubt.
Very close to USGI as far as tolerances and construction material.
Great folks to work with as a bonus.

Semper Fi
Art
Will they be about the same when it comes to accuracy? I've heard the JRA comes with USGI parts? and doesnt require much tweeking out of the box. How does the trigger group and Bula barrel stack up against the NM parts on the SAI?
__________________
Tyler D
SSGT @ USAF Civil Engineering-Power Pro
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-15-2018, 06:36 PM
Digital_Chaos Digital_Chaos is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pickerington Ohio
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofM1 View Post
Just say no to Springfield junk ,buy the JRA .
bull ******** comments like this are unwarranted.. what are you 12?

I have no issues with a My SA M1A national match..

If you are going to shoot your mouth off then back it up with facts... and their politics is not what the guy asked for
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2018, 07:05 PM
nf1e nf1e is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9274 View Post
Will they be about the same when it comes to accuracy? I've heard the JRA comes with USGI parts? and doesnt require much tweeking out of the box. How does the trigger group and Bula barrel stack up against the NM parts on the SAI?
Accuracy should be about the same.
James River is using mostly Bula Defense Systems receivers and parts currently as the supply of USGI has settled to a trickle.
Parts including trigger group by Bula are all made in Cleveland OH and are of the highest quality available today.

Semper Fi
Art
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-15-2018, 09:08 PM
cal50 cal50 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofM1 View Post
Just say no to Springfield junk ,buy the JRA .


You mean the company that has made thousands of M1a rifles for the longest with a lifetime warranty ?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-16-2018, 07:34 AM
howardhuge howardhuge is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: nc
Posts: 1,285
Default

Tyler9274 Heres my .02 Cents.... With a Budget of 1500.00 there are some good deals to be had buying USED . I WOULD NOT Buy any New SAInc rifles today... Buy a used SAInc rifle SN UNDER 100K that has USGI Parts on it...there are several Nice rifles on different sites including AR15 Forum, Here, etc. James River Rifles are made by Bula, are forged receivers with NON USGI parts on them. they come with a 1 Year Warranty if I read it right when I considered buying one. Read up on their reviews before spending the $$$. Norinco Rifles built on USGI rifles parts are quite good...and Fulton Armory...again used market. If you think the rifle will shoot 600 yds Out the Box ..... never happen. The Optic mount is the weak link on the rifle...buying a scope mount and setting it up can be a bear. Stock Bedding, trigger work, good ammo and experience on the weapon makes for a 600 yds consistent shot. Good Luck.

Last edited by howardhuge; 01-16-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 AM
GM1MAN GM1MAN is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: South & North
Posts: 1,284
Default

Buy what you want after you do your research. SAI warranties their rifles for life, even if not the original owner, as long as no major alterations have been made. I have a SAI NM that will shoot much better than me.

I have had it for several years and have had no problems with it at all. It is a high serial numbered rifle and I use a Bassett Low Picatinny mount on it when I wish to use a scope.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion on these rifles, but you need to figure out what you are trying to accomplish with your purchase and how you will be using the rifle you buy. Are you going to be a competitive shooter or just a range shooter like me?

I have no dog in the hunt here as I do not work for SAI or Bassett Machine, my opinion is my own.

Last edited by GM1MAN; 01-16-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-16-2018, 08:14 AM
nf1e nf1e is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
Buy what you want after you do your research. SAI warranties their rifles for life, even if not the original owner, as long as no major alterations have been made. I have a SAI NM that will shoot much better than me.

I have had it for several years and have had no problems with it at all. It is a high serial numbered rifle and I use a Bassett Low Picatinny mount on it when I wish to use a scope.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion on these rifles, but you need to figure out what you are trying to accomplish with your purchase and how you will be using the rifle you buy. Are you going to be a competitive shooter or just a range shooter like me?

I have no dog in the hunt here as I do not work for SAI or Bassett Machine, my opinion is my own.
Agreed on the Bassett mounts. Easy on and easy off with very close return to your established zero.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-16-2018, 08:42 AM
zippysrifle zippysrifle is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 173 miles E of the NS
Posts: 537
Default Jra

I recently purchased a JRA. There are no GI parts on it. All marked parts are BULA. A nice surprise was the NM style round spring guide. The stock and hand guard are stained a darker brown than I care for, but thatís an easy fix. Very smooth operation and lockup. I also had a SA, no complaints there either. I sold the SA because it was getting a little long in the tooth. My round count books show a running total of over 68k fired. I changed barrels every other shooting season regardless of round count but it was about every 5k. Pins and springs are cheap, donít be afraid to change them. I think that either will serve you well but itís your money, buy what you want.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.