Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2016, 08:46 AM

Default Wolf Magnum Primers in 30 cal. Carbine

A few years ago I acquired 1,000 magnum Wolf primers from Wideners. They stated that they would be excellent in the M1 Carbine. After reading in several sources that magnum primers should not be used unless called for, I now have my doubts about using them for example with H110 which already
sends the bullet out at top velocity.

So what do you all think?
Old 01-08-2016, 12:28 PM

I think you shold back off your powder charge a couple 10ths and use them....Either that or send them to me. I'll take care of them for you.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:14 PM
Banned

Daft isn't it? Hodgdon's site says to use magnum primers with H110 in .357 Mag, but not in .30 Carbine. No idea why as magnum primers are about the powder used and have nothing to do with the cartridge.
No, you don't need magnum primers unless they're called for in your manual. However, nothing horrible will happen if you do use 'em. You will, or should, work up the load again though.
Tried H110 long ago, but get better accuracy with IMR4227.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:10 PM

I remembered reading a while back, probably in the Widener's description of them, that Wolf small rifle magnum primers were not "officially" magnum primers. They were marketed for the AR crowd, with harder cups, not a "magnum" charge. I looked around at one of the other descriptions, and it states the same.

"Notes: These small rifle primers are labeled as magnum primers. These primers have the same compound as standard small rifle primers, they are not hotter or higher pressure. The difference is the magnum primer has a harder cup to prevent slam fires in AR 15 type rifles. The only difference between standard and magnum primers is the hardness of the primer cup. Our advice is to use standard primers for bolt guns and magnum primers for semi auto firearms"

http://ammunitionstore.com/products/...00-pc-box.html
Old 01-16-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunray View Post
Daft isn't it? Hodgdon's site says to use magnum primers with H110 in .357 Mag, but not in .30 Carbine. No idea why as magnum primers are about the powder used and have nothing to do with the cartridge.
Speer #14 does call for magnum primers with H110 for the carbine. CCI SRM and #41 are all I've used.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunray View Post
DHowever, nothing horrible will happen if you do use 'em. You will, or should, work up the load again though.
The second part is VERY important.

There was an online article from one of the gun magazines looking at pressures with standard versus magnum primers in pistols rounds.

In some cases, not much pressure change. But in one case, it was something like a 8,000 - 9,000 PSI increase by just changing the primer from Standard to Magnum in the same brand.