Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2017, 02:35 PM

Default "Red Dot" Scopes?

After seeing a gentleman on the line at the New England Games with an Aimpoint red dot scope (looked to be my old M68 optic), my first inclination was that it was not permitted...but is that true?

Here is all I could find in 'the book:'

Optical Sights. The rifle may have an optical sight (reflective sights are considered optical sights) with a maximum power of 4.5X installed on the receiver. Variable scopes with a maximum of 4.5X are permitted. Only commercially manufactured scopes that were produced with a maximum magnification of 4.5X and have a maximum objective lens diameter of 34 mm may be used. If an optical sight is used, the same optical sight configuration must be used in all stages of a course of fire (changing sights or sight mount configurations is not permitted). The centerline of an optical sight shall be no higher than 3.5 inches above the centerline of the bore.

Would it be the maximum objective size that would preclude them? (The Aimpoint Pro has a 38mm objective)

I wonder if there is some exception, if I were to accept 1X power, to the objective size restriction (of 34mm).

Not sure I would WANT to go this route, but was curious...

Last edited by Ham_Chu; 10-17-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: formating
Old 10-17-2017, 09:28 PM

Ham, The civilian version of the military M68 CCO is the Aimpoint Comp M4. It looks like the Aimpoint Pro might have a slightly larger objective lens than the Comp M4. It might be worth contacting Aimpoint to find out the exact dimensions. They are not part of the on-line technical specs.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:12 AM

There's a few things I don't like about the rules.
1. I can't mount a scope on top of my A1 fixed handle.
2. Depending on where they measure the objective. My lens is small enough but the outer dia. Because of the bulky "armor" coating is not?
I guess I will have to wait until I get to the inspection table.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
Depending on where they measure the objective. My lens is small enough but the outer dia. Because of the bulky "armor" coating is not?
Mac, objective lenses are always measured at the OD of the glass - not the OD of the housing.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
There's a few things I don't like about the rules.
1. I can't mount a scope on top of my A1 fixed handle.
Well, if we are still on the red dot thing, the Aimpoints we were issued (and therefore must be available somewhere) had a weird mount that bolted to the carry handle of the A2 (using that hole in the center of the handle) and dropped the M68 to co-witness. That would beat the distance to the bore rule.

Back then we didn't have the M4, never mind the M16A4 flat top stuff.
Heck, I remember mounting the PVS4 to the roof of my M16A1....now THAT was a scope!
Old 03-29-2018, 11:52 PM

Carry handle mounts suck for Prone.

I'm not a fan of the objective diameter limit. The most appropriate "service optic" would be a TA11E as the BDC tracks close with most 77gr loads (necessary given the reputation for clicks needing to set), but the objective is 35mm.

A <4 MOA dot (and rear aperture) is suitable, but most don't have finger adjustable clicks. The Ultradot 6 would fit that, buuut 37mm.
http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_009.htm
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara