Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2018, 04:41 AM

OP:
I asked about which matches you are interested in for the same reasons other posters are bringing up various things.....

The Modern Military matches are one of the CMP Games matches and they are shot at 200yds.
Service Rifle is shot out to 600yds.

Just my 2% here:

The Colt would work ok for the MM. You wont be limited by the short barrel and short sight radius. That leaves the trigger and possible sling tension shifting your zero. I don't think free floats are legal for the MM though.

For Service Rifle all those will work against you though.....along with the NATO chamber. The Colt will work but to be honest, it will be frustrating.

BTW...... the looseness of the receivers is distracting but not a loss in accuracy............. if it bothers you, use a "wedge" to tighten it up.

The Colt's are great combat rifles........ but there are better for competition.

PS the name "match target" was a Clinton era AW ban thing........ that is why you don't have a FH (along with the bayonet lug missing) and the name was to make the Dems happy, it really isn't a "match" rifle.

Last edited by Gewehr43; 03-26-2018 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:11 AM

Gewehr43 is correct - the Colt HBarII is a good choice for the Modern Military match. Not so good for true service rifle competition. There are just too many limitations when applied to service rifle competition. It is always best to use the right tool for the job.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:49 AM

Depends on how serious you are in service rifle or modern military..... Definately not suitable from cross the course service rifle, better for MM, but any shooter wants a match trigger for whatever they are doing. The heavy barrel will help (but not eliminate)sling tension issues. Since the Colts bring silly money and good NM service rifles (and M4s for MM) are relatively inexpensive, selling it might make sense.... Good Shooting. ..
Old 03-26-2018, 07:53 PM

Thanks everyone. Lots of good advice, well appreciated. I know my range has matches during the summer but their competition range is only at 100 yards. I need to see exactly what match they are shooting. I doubt I’ll get too deep into it, more looking to have an enjoyable time.

I will seriously look into selling the Colt once I shoot it for accuracy with my PSA lower to see if I should keep it or not.

Last edited by Wurger; 03-26-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:26 PM

If your Palmetto State Armory rifle shoots well and meets the weight limit for the Modern Military Matches, you can use it for these matches. They use FN barrels which are definitely high quality barrels as mil spec barrels go. I see no advantage that the Colt HBar II offers you over the Palmetto State rifle.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:39 PM

Just get a freefloat rail and two stage trigger. With 6-position collapsible stocks, I use #4 for Offhand and #6 for Sitting and Prone.

If that barrel is a 1:9, measure it (https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Ho...se-/12-720559/) to see if <1.0" long bullets will fly reliably.

Most recent video of my carbine experiment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvFCQjSZEtU
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 06-10-2018, 11:30 PM

For what it is worth, a snug upper/lower fit reportedly has no appreciable effect on AR accuracy (except in the shooters mind) - and I have heard it stated it can in some cases be a negative. Kind of like a tight slide on a 1911 pistol - doesn't really matter much. I would shoot it and see what it can do before I would condemn it! CC