Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2018, 01:29 PM

Can anyone guess which group passes?

26 fails and 8 pass...

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2018, 04:49 PM

Been following this thread with interest since I have a can of this stuff from way back when... 2012? Never shot any of it.

I'm thinking the best approach at this point would be to pull the bullets. Does anyone know what powder is in these? It sounds like it could be probably be safely re-used.

Would it be worth punching the primers out and re-using them too?

It's really too bad... it "looked" like good ammo and a good deal, at the time.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

Does anyone know what powder is in these? It sounds like it could be probably be safely re-used.

Probably could be used in light loads for cast bullets. I wouldn't use it for full power loads without knowing what it is.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 10-21-2018, 05:22 PM

Resurrecting this thread...

I found another box of Atomic 308 in my ammo fort:

Headstamp is '10' '14' '7.62 x 51':

Has anyone had any experience with this stuff? I can't remember where I got it, or when... though the headstamp, and ink-stamp on the box would indicate it was made around October of 2014. It is advertised as new brass, so I'm guessing it shouldn't have the same resizing issues as the CMP-sold ammo in reloaded MIL cases. I have not yet dropped any of it a cartridge gage.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:26 PM

[QUOTE=ORN197;1765196]Resurrecting this thread...

I found another box of Atomic 308 in my ammo fort:

Headstamp is '10' '14' '7.62 x 51':

Has anyone had any experience with this stuff? I can't remember where I got it, or when... though the headstamp, and ink-stamp on the box would indicate it was made around October of 2014. It is advertised as new brass, so I'm guessing it shouldn't have the same resizing issues as the CMP-sold ammo in reloaded MIL cases. I have not yet dropped any of it a cartridge gage.[/QUOTE

Does the Atomic loads use this brass? This head stamp is from brass made in Bulgaria, http://arsenal-bg.com/ and the brass itself is sold by Natchez Shooters Supply and Graf & Sons.

https://www.natchezss.com/snake-rive...in-100-ct.html

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/71105

Since I bought some of this brass and have not fired any of my loads in it yet, I'd like to know if the Atomic issues are linked to this head stamped brass as well.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:20 PM
Banned

It has worked fine in all my .308 rifles. I am disapointed that there is no mushroom cloud upon impact. Having grown up in the 50s and hidden under my school desk at times, I was expecting more. I realize now that the Atomic was just to get out attention.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Junk Operator View Post
Complete junk.
You mean the Bulgarian brass?
Old 11-14-2018, 12:41 PM

Guys, I am not a reloader, but I have two cases of the CMP .308 Atomic. Because of this thread I bought the Sheridan gauge and so far after only checking 16 rounds, 11 of them have the end of the case protrude a little above the top of the gauge. All of the tall ones did not drop out easily. Some of the flush ones did drop out easily, but not all. I usually have to take my finger and push the round out.

I then used the gauge on some Federal 150 gr. SP deer loads and some Norma 150 gr. SP and all those rounds were flush with the top of the gauge and fell out easily.

Finally, I used the gauge on some 1980 7.62x51 M80 ball loaded by PMC and those all stuck up a little and did not drop out easily.

Could the issue be that the gauge is for .308 and the brass is 7.62x51?

I just tried some Men 2016 7.62x51 FMJ and it works fine in the gauge. I cannot figure it out.

Does it sound like all of the Atomic rounds are bad?

Thanks in advance,
George

Last edited by flyrod40; 11-15-2018 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Updated Information
Old 11-15-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod40 View Post
Could the issue be that the gauge is for .308 and the brass is 7.62x51?
George,

Read through the sticky at the top of the Ammo section:http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=146769

This goes into some detail about the difference between the cartridges, vs the differences in the chamber dimensions.

The bottom line is that some amount of the Atomic .308 would appear to be, basically, out-of-specification.

The larger questions are why, and what can be done about it... which this thread covers.

I'm sitting on about 300 rds of this stuff; 200 from the CMP several years ago loaded into once-fired military brass, and another 100 purchased more recently loaded into new cases, apparently made overseas somewhere. I have checked some in an LE Wilson gage and found several to be too big; at this point, I'm not inclined to use any of this ammo. Now, there are plenty of folks who've used this stuff with apparently no issues, but I just don't know if I'm willing to risk expensive .308 M1 Garands and M1A's to find out if I'm one of the lucky ones. I would rather keep shooting ammo I have higher confidence in: factory LC and IMI 7.62, and factory Federal and PPU .308. As well my own reloads, which frankly I have more confidence in. I know exactly where the brass came from (because I shot it the first time), exactly how it was re-sized and dimensioned (because I did it myself) exactly what type and how much powder I've loaded (again, because I'm the one doing it).
Old 11-15-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORN197 View Post
George,

Read through the sticky at the top of the Ammo section:http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=146769

This goes into some detail about the difference between the cartridges, vs the differences in the chamber dimensions.

The bottom line is that some amount of the Atomic .308 would appear to be, basically, out-of-specification.

The larger questions are why, and what can be done about it... which this thread covers.

I'm sitting on about 300 rds of this stuff; 200 from the CMP several years ago loaded into once-fired military brass, and another 100 purchased more recently loaded into new cases, apparently made overseas somewhere. I have checked some in an LE Wilson gage and found several to be too big; at this point, I'm not inclined to use any of this ammo. Now, there are plenty of folks who've used this stuff with apparently no issues, but I just don't know if I'm willing to risk expensive .308 M1 Garands and M1A's to find out if I'm one of the lucky ones. I would rather keep shooting ammo I have higher confidence in: factory LC and IMI 7.62, and factory Federal and PPU .308. As well my own reloads, which frankly I have more confidence in. I know exactly where the brass came from (because I shot it the first time), exactly how it was re-sized and dimensioned (because I did it myself) exactly what type and how much powder I've loaded (again, because I'm the one doing it).
Sir, Thank you very much. I shall follow your advice and not use it. I did read the thread and think I understand it. It does not seem worth risking my good M1A.
Thanks again,
George