Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2019, 03:19 PM

Default Replacement Recoil Spring Length

Has anyone replaced their stock Army issued recoil spring? I decided since I plan to get proficient with mine, I should take responsible steps to place the least amount of punishment to my 1911. One such step is replacing the recoils spring. From my research, Wolff and Wilson Combat rate high for their replacement springs for these Government issued pistols. I chose the Wilson Combat version, but noticed immediately when I went to replace the stock spring there were differences.

First, the spring is about an inch longer. My research showed new springs compress about 1/2" either sitting for a few weeks compressed or by shooting about 200 rounds or so through the gun. So, I am not too worried about the length. However, what I am concerned about is the number of coils. The stock had 30 coils and the replacement has 32. The spring diameter looks the same, so that would tell me full compression will change. I placed a call to Wilson Combat and the guy assured me this was the correct spring length/coils for my 1911 and not to cut any coils off.

Anyone replace their stock recoil spring with a Wilson Combat (or similar spring) and have any feedback as to if these extra coils will be an issue?

TIA,
Dan
Old 09-13-2019, 04:22 PM

7 down from yours is an existing thread about all this:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=241221
Old 09-13-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
7 down from yours is an existing thread about all this:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=241221
Well, yes and no. The thread 7 down is about spring weight, I am talking about spring length. After much research I decided to go with a 17 lb. spring so I have no question about that. My question is about being too long or not being able for the spring to allow full slide travel due to two extra coils of the same thickness as stock allowing proper distance when fully compressed.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:56 PM

You're fine. Wilson Combat knows their business. I personally use Wolff when I need replacement springs because of the sheer amount of different platforms they support.
It's quite possible the extra coils are how they get to the 17 lb weight instead of using a heavier gauge. Standard weight is 16 lbs.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan13 View Post
Has anyone replaced their stock Army issued recoil spring? I decided since I plan to get proficient with mine, I should take responsible steps to place the least amount of punishment to my 1911. One such step is replacing the recoils spring. From my research, Wolff and Wilson Combat rate high for their replacement springs for these Government issued pistols. I chose the Wilson Combat version, but noticed immediately when I went to replace the stock spring there were differences.

First, the spring is about an inch longer. My research showed new springs compress about 1/2" either sitting for a few weeks compressed or by shooting about 200 rounds or so through the gun. So, I am not too worried about the length. However, what I am concerned about is the number of coils. The stock had 30 coils and the replacement has 32. The spring diameter looks the same, so that would tell me full compression will change. I placed a call to Wilson Combat and the guy assured me this was the correct spring length/coils for my 1911 and not to cut any coils off.

Anyone replace their stock recoil spring with a Wilson Combat (or similar spring) and have any feedback as to if these extra coils will be an issue?

TIA,
Dan
You're just "pulling our leg", right?
Old 09-13-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Youngblood View Post
You're just "pulling our leg", right?
First 1911, not a big gun guy, wanted to make sure I was understanding the situation correctly. Obviously, my concerns are a joke to the more initiated - sorry.

I will find another source for my knowledge.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:44 AM

I agree that compressed length can be an issue. I have seen aftermarket Garand springs "bottom out" causing mal-functions.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:41 AM

I apologize for offending you.

The idea that you were seriously considering cutting a couple of coils of a brand new Wilson 1911 recoil spring suggested to me that you might be having us on.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

As far as length goes, I've been using the Wolff brand 16.0 pound springs and measure roughly 6 5/8th inch long. If I'm counting right...32 coils.
The Wolff replacement springs have been my go to spring on all my 1911 .45's. I do avoid using the Wolff oprod springs in my Garands!
FWIW
Old 09-14-2019, 10:27 AM

Thanks all, the "bottoming out" condition Jack Hammer mentioned was my concern. From a physics standpoint, two springs with the same wire diameter fully compressed so there is no space between the coils and two more coils on one than the other would be longer at full lock up. I was not sure if the 1911 had this extra space during recoil when you fire it.

Looks like others have successfully shot with a 32 coil aftermarket recoil spring so I will give it a go.

Thanks again.