Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 12:30 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMagic View Post
Thank you Lapriester. I have a gun shop telling me that I need to get one of my rifles bolt lapped or it's unsafe to fire. They said that the headspace will grow very quickly and I have a time bomb waiting to go off. I just asked "does it headspace or not?" They said that that's not the point, it will soon not headspace. Heck, it even headspaced on just a no go gauge let alone a field.
They are not even close to being accurate. It is probably true, if the bolt is wearing or making more contact on one lug, that the headspace will change as it wears to the point where both lugs are making even contact. That would be true with most Garands or any rifle where there is uneven wear. It will naturally wear more on the one lug until both are making full contact.

BUT:

"Soon not headspace" BS. The wear I'm talking until there is full contact will be gradual and take a great many rounds, as it would have with any Garand right off the assembly line. Any mass produced rifle will have uneven wear surfaces until it is broken in.

"They said that the headspace will grow very quickly and I have a time bomb waiting to go off." What that is..... is crap. If your rifle currently won't close on a No-Go it probably won't when the bolt has broken in. It would have to close on a Field before it was unsafe to shoot and that's just not going to happen anytime soon. Probably not in your lifetime. Heck, it may not make full contact on both lugs, under normal use, in your lifetime unless you manually lap it. That's the honest truth.

Find a better gunshop that has qualified people working there or, better yet, find a Gunsmith that knows Garands enough to tell you the truth.

Larry
Old 11-11-2009, 09:53 PM

Thank you Lapriester. I called the shop today and had to hear the guys military service as an armorer for about 30 minutes before I could get my gun sent somewhere else. I found a shop where the owner thinks more like you do.