Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2015, 12:34 PM

Great report Rob!
Old 12-20-2015, 01:52 PM

We got to the store just after 7:30 and were around 10th in line. Spoke with Jason (I think that was his name) and his son while we were waiting for the doors to open. As Rob noted in his (much better) report, they opened up right at 8:00. Everyone made a beeline for the Rack grades, as there were no Field grades in the rack. My son and I looked at the sniper rifles while we waited for the crowd to thin out before we had an opportunity to see what Rack grades were left to choose from.

There was an assortment of sniper rifles out, although many of the M1D's had what appeared to be new handguards on them. Nicer selection of NM rifles along the wall, with nice stocks. Usual selection of Specials in 308 and 30-06, which we only glanced at briefly. Rob and the gang were nice enough to help me identify parts on a couple of rifles we were examining and considering buying. One of them was handed to me by one of the regulars...unfortunately I can't remember his name.

Ended up finding two: 447xxx and 1377xxx. Waiting for the BWT to deliver them, but as I recall both had milled trigger guards, one had a Winchester bolt. Stocks on both were pretty rough (one was covered with shellac), but both appear to be walnut. Gas cylinders were pretty rough, ME were in the 3+ range. TE on one was tagged as 3+, while the other was marked as a 6. Also bought a few of the 192 round Spam cans, and some of the 1911 mags as well.

Had a great time meeting and talking to the other "last minute shoppers", especially Rob, Paul and the rest of their "Hee Haw Gang". Even with the limited inventory, people were polite and most eager to help others who needed it (like me!). As always, the store staff were helpful friendly and courteous, and very polite. Hardly hurt at all when the kind folks at the store took all my money.

Last edited by MustangMan; 12-20-2015 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-20-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post
We got to the store just after 7:30 and were around 10th in line. Spoke with Jason (I think that was his name) and his son while we were waiting for the doors to open. As Rob noted in his (much better) report, they opened up right at 8:00. Everyone made a beeline for the Rack grades, as there were no Field grades in the rack. My son and I looked at the sniper rifles while we waited for the crowd to thin out before we had an opportunity to see what Rack grades were left to choose from.

There was an assortment of sniper rifles out, although many of the M1D's had what appeared to be new handguards on them. Nicer selection of NM rifles along the wall, with nice stocks. Usual selection of Specials in 308 and 30-06, which we only glanced at briefly. Rob and the gang were nice enough to help me identify parts on a couple of rifles we were examining and considering buying. One of them was handed to me by one of the regulars...unfortunately I can't remember his name.

Ended up finding two: 447xxx and 1377xxx. Waiting for the BWT to deliver them, but as I recall both had milled trigger guards, one had a Winchester bolt. Stocks on both were pretty rough (one was covered with shellac), but both appear to be walnut. Gas cylinders were pretty rough, ME were in the 3+ range. TE on one was tagged as 3+, while the other was marked as a 6. Also bought a few of the 192 round Spam cans, and some of the 1911 mags as well.

Had a great time meeting and talking to the other "last minute shoppers", especially Rob, Paul and the rest of their "Hee Haw Gang". Even with the limited inventory, people were polite and most eager to help others who needed it (like me!). As always, the store staff were helpful friendly and courteous, and very polite. Hardly hurt at all when the kind folks at the store took all my money.
Yea, I left with my pockets turned inside out as well. Had to talk my brother into buying me lunch at Dad's BBQ.
Hmmmm....gave up the ability to buy food to buy Garands....guess that says a lot about my "problem".
Saving my pennies for the next trip. Count starts all over next month

Rob
Old 01-25-2016, 09:33 PM

Great report. Thanks. I love the pics. I am still learning a lot and my next Garand will be more of a collector. I bought a RM1 Special last spring and I am still having a blast breaking in the new barrel. Keep posting info please. Some day I will get back down there.