Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 AM

ulflyer

If I came across as overly negative I'm sorry. I'm no expert on this type of thing but it just set off alarm bells. I also don't like the thought of someone being taken to the cleaners even if I don't know them personally.

Here's wishing your friend good luck researching this rifle and cudos to you for lending him a hand with that.

I.B. Waitin

Last edited by I.B. Waitin; 09-07-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:36 AM

Not worth $2k IMHO.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:01 PM

If I recall there was this one and a WRA on gunbroker or somewhere for sale a while back. Neither sold the as they were asking a huge amount for them. They did kind of look crude in the carving, but there was a notorized paper with carbine williams and the guy he gave them to signatures on them along with ictures of both and the carbines. Not doubting your story, as I do recall them, but valve is what makes both parties happy in this case.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:48 PM

I'm not trying to convince any of you that its the real thing. I'm merely saying "if its real, and can be proven, what might it be worth"?

For you doubting thomas's, CW lived in Godwin NC, spent time around Fayetteville, sighing such guns for money, having blown all that he made from his patents on the carbine. I have personally met an old fellow who was a gun salesman back in those days who told me he met CW in Fayetteville at a gun shop who offered to sign one for him for $50 or $100 (he couldn't remember the exact amount but thought the $100 also included the gun) and he turned him down. He also commented that CW was a "cussin, smoking, SOB, and he didn't like him one bit".

I haven't seen the actual documentation, but according to my friend the gent in question, who is quite old, actually knew CW and has letters to attest to that. The document itself is in his bank vault and will be produced eventually. I'm taking it at face value that the doc's are good provenance, and I'm confident that the M1A1 I've seen with CW's name..and it ain't just "scratched" into the wood, its literally carved into the wood is for real. I have other info that he used an awl for this purpose and had extraordinary grip. I have a large pic of CW, presenting one of his "signed" carbines, and I''ve personally examined that particular gun, and the close-up compares so well that you don't have to be a handwriting expert.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Peter100 makes a valid point on the M1A1 carbines being sold on the CMP auction. I too believe that the CMP "matched" up some Inland receivers with these stocks. With all the swapping of parts going on during these rebuild programs, it is hard to believe these M1A1's remained nearly all Inland while we see how many other carbines are a mix of parts.

This said, all these M1A1's are good, sound collectibles. There is nothing wrong with a rebuilt one, even with an Greek replacement stock. There are plenty of M1A1's that have been in private hands for years that may be no more than an Inland carbine falling within the correct serial number range added to an original M1A1 stock.

No doubt the CMP paperwork that comes with the auctioned M1A1's will carry weight and add value to these someday down the road. If you've purchased one of these from the CMP, you have a good carbine and sound investment.

For what it is worth, I own neither an M1A1 from the CMP or any other source.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:35 AM

What's mine worth?
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/a...ofDSCN0361.jpg

Before he got to the 'K' he decided to use a coconut
Old 09-09-2010, 08:29 AM

Wink

I suppose if a guy is big into "Carbine' Williams stuff this would be the motherlode but I would find that old drunk's signature a distraction to the weapon, lessening it's value for me.

Now, if I could find a genuine bottle of CW's moonshine; that would be another story.

Oh, we all owe a big thanks to CMP for bringing only Inland M1A1s to the market. That is one less thing to keep the faithful Carbine Collector up at night for goodness' sake. Long live the mystery.

Last edited by steddyshot; 09-09-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: just kicking in my two pennies
Old 09-14-2010, 08:03 AM

To put a finish to this story, at least as far as I'm concerned, my friend bought the M1A1, along with some personal letters, and is now considering buying another signed CW rifle, a Remington 550 22 cal for which CW held 3 patents. These are stamped on each of the guns as "Williams patent #####".
FWIW, the guns are/were owned by a relative of the original recipient who was a personal friend of CW and a writer/photographer on a Greensboro NC paper back then. The letters are from CW to him and CW inscribed this gents name with a "to" along with CW's name underneath on the butt stock of the 550.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:28 PM

Congratulations to your friend! I do not doubt the authenticity of the mentioned gun or the documentation (even without seeing it), and consider the price to be very fair. I happen to be a bit biased however. If ever you or your friend need any assistance in authentication of any pieces of CW's or are interrested in sharing any of the history, I wuld be more than willing to help.