Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 12:38 PM

Default where is the tech info for carbines

I need to install a new gas piston and nut on a carbine, M1, and need a site to help me thru this. Can anyone help with site or info page. Thanks, duggaboy
Old 01-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Lessons learned here:
http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic...TOPIC_ID=53698

2 different users recommend leaving the nut alone here:
http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic...TOPIC_ID=57313
Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 PM

Default M1 Carbine gas piston nut removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggaboy View Post
I need to install a new gas piston and nut on a carbine, M1, and need a site to help me thru this. Can anyone help with site or info page. Thanks, duggaboy
I am not an expert but I have done this a few times and I think I have a considerable knowledge of mechanics. The answer to your question provokes another question: Why? If you think it needs to be checked, OK, but you can check it easily to see if the piston moves freely by holding one finger to seal the chanber and another on the piston and blow on the muzzle. If the piston is free it will move freely. If it has been contaminated by corrosive ammunition removing the gas plug is the only way I know to clean it properly.

If you have already removed the gas piston nut it's easy. If the threads have been damaged by the staking you will need to clean them before installing a new piston. (A tap or thead chaser may be required to do this with considerable care.) If you have not yet removed it you will need a special wrench. Some make-shift devices have may be offered but I have been educated to believe there is nothing like using the right tool for the job, and that is a M1 Carbine Gas Plug Wrench:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....rSuperSKU=&MC=
If the new nut can be installed with just your fingers, without resistance that would cause you to resort to tools, just screw it in until it is finger tight and then use the RIGHT wrencn to tighten 1/8th turn more. If it should later loosen there is no real problem, just retighten it again. I personally do not recommend staking it again. Some may. The more it's staked the more likely you will have real problems.
This is my 1-1/2 cents which is freely given. If you take it you owe me 1/2 cents. I'll take an I.O.U.

Last edited by VMFn542bob; 01-21-2010 at 07:12 PM.