Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Default What is the lightest walnut stock finish?

I almost hate to ask another stock finishing question but - - -
I'm finishing a stock that is really dark wood and would like to keep what I finish it with as light as I can to show the beautiful figure in the wood.
I want to use an oil finish - not varnish or Varithane or anything like that.
Thanks!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

tung oil or blo cut 50/50 with mineral spirits wont add much color, but almost anything is going to darken it to a point, maybe something like gunnies paste would work also
Old 01-28-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy85 View Post
tung oil or blo cut 50/50 with mineral spirits wont add much color, but almost anything is going to darken it to a point, maybe something like gunnies paste would work also
Anything with BLO in it (like, say, BLO, or gunnies paste) will darken with age. Supposedly pure tung oil does not.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:48 AM

What are the thoughts on something like Johnson Paste Wax? I have it around all the time for cast bullets.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:07 PM

The purists will scream, but here's my idea (long)

I used Fairtrimmers OX on my Garand and followed it up with Tom's 1/3 mix. Of course, these products darken the wood, which is what I wanted.

That said, the Fairtrimmers is a very thin watery mix that you sand into the wood, a good technique.

30 years ago, I built a Springfield sporter (from an action-didn't cut one up!) with a bastogne walnut stock. A gunsmith friend showed me the sanding process using a Varathane oil product (NLA). It had no colorant at all. Now, 30 years on, that stock has not changed color one bit.

All this leads up to... Minwax Wipe-On Poly. It is thin and watery, like Fairtrimmers and the Varathane of long ago. I just finished a maple top for my loading bench and used the Minwax product, sanding it in and followed up with Toms. Looks like a stock finish.

This is a colorless version of this product. Cheap, available everywhere in small cans. Get a walnut scrap and try it out. Follow up with paste wax. You might be surprised.

Si vis pacem, para bellum