Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 07:27 PM

Default Front Sight Saginaw?

Why the N or Z front sight? Shouldn't it be a Saginaw with the little dish out area just behind the blade? Also, I agree, the barrel markings look to dull. You need pictures of the receiver markings and any and all stake/punch marks.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 PM

So, has he been shooting corrosive ammo in that carbine?
Old 01-03-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthom View Post
Pretty sure that is French manufactured ammo. Still corrosive though.
If the headstamp is LC52, then it is Chinese.

That plain white cardboard box with that goofy labeling combined with LC52 = berdan primed, corrosive, made in China.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:01 AM

Not to minimize the hazard of using corrosive ammo, but a good many years ago I shot a LOT of the LC-52 Chinese thru my winchester, not knowing it was corrosive, and gave it a routine cleaning afterwards. Some years had passed before I found out I'd been using Chinese stuff and I closely examined the Winnie and found no damage. Perhaps cleaning it after each shooting was sufficient, or maybe I was simply lucky. I wouldn't use it now in any of my better carbines but if I had a supply of it I'd run it thru a beater and make sure it was thoroughly cleaned afterwards.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
Not to minimize the hazard of using corrosive ammo, but a good many years ago I shot a LOT of the LC-52 Chinese thru my winchester, not knowing it was corrosive, and gave it a routine cleaning afterwards. Some years had passed before I found out I'd been using Chinese stuff and I closely examined the Winnie and found no damage. Perhaps cleaning it after each shooting was sufficient, or maybe I was simply lucky. I wouldn't use it now in any of my better carbines but if I had a supply of it I'd run it thru a beater and make sure it was thoroughly cleaned afterwards.
The dangers of shooting corrosive-primed ammo have grown to monstrous proportions in the internet age.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:54 PM

Definitely Chinese ammo VERY VERY CORROSIVE!!!!!! French ammo is also corrosive, though. You have to very thouroughly clean it, including the gas piston area. WWII vintage USGI bore cleaner will neutralize it, as will hot soapy water.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 01-04-2014 at 10:56 PM.