Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2014, 03:35 AM

I did something similar with about 40 rounds of HXP 78. I pulled the bullets and cleaned the bullets and necks with mineral spirits. After measuring each powder charge, I consolidated the powder and reduced the load by 2 grains. They shot very accurately.

Wasted time? Maybe, but at least I felt better about not putting that asphaltum down the barrel. Got to say, those bullets were plenty accurate.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 ring View Post
I have decided to remove the bullets from the HXP brass by placing them in 8 round clips and firing them. I can replace the bullets with something more accurate after I complete the removal process.
That's the way to do it.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 09-09-2014, 10:58 AM

Just pulled down 10rds of HXP headstamp 76 last night... noticed sitting in the tray that some rounds were noticeably further up in the neck with ball powder...weighed em and lowest 2 were 53.1gr and highest 2 were 61.3 with everything in between....dayumm.... 76 was a good year.
Most all the other years HXP I've mex matched have been consistently 53+- ball powder.... you think a 8 grain variation would make a difference???
Old 09-10-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altafuego View Post
Just pulled down 10rds of HXP headstamp 76 last night... noticed sitting in the tray that some rounds were noticeably further up in the neck with ball powder...weighed em and lowest 2 were 53.1gr and highest 2 were 61.3 with everything in between....dayumm.... 76 was a good year.
Most all the other years HXP I've mex matched have been consistently 53+- ball powder.... you think a 8 grain variation would make a difference???
I guess that is what we should expect from delinked machine gun ammunition.

HXP 1978 shoots well out of my Garand....most of the time. I don't have many 76 headstamps in the cans I checked.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:42 PM

First 76 I've seen as well. most have been 77 but this last batch is quite assorted. About 100rd of 82 in can some time back...extremely nice brass. 77 and 82 have had some really consistent charge weights
Old 05-29-2019, 08:25 AM

Pulled some HXP 62. It had 48 to 49 grs of stick powder that looked like 4895. Evened the powder out to 48.5 and replaced the bullet with a 155 amax. They shot well at 200 yds. One 4 shot group with irons was in sub 2.5 in range.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman2 View Post
It wasn't exposure to air or rearrangement of the powder that caused the problems. 45.0 grs. was too light of a load with the slower burning powder. The OP didn't state whether the powder was extruded or ball. If extruded it was probably a variation of IMR 4895; if ball a variation of WC 852. In .30 M2 Ball the average charge of IMR 4895 was 50.0 grs. So 45.0 grs. of a slower powder was probably way too low. (Note: This is not intended to be interpreted as a suggested load.)

Bulk powder's burning rate will vary considerably from lot to lot. Ammo manufactures will adjust the charge weight to achieve the desired velocity and pressure. When mixing powders from different lots the reloader will have no clue as to the burn rate. It's a crap shoot.

As far as I know a given lot of loaded ammo will use cases, primers, powder and bullets that are all from their own individual lots. Therefore all cases will be of a certain lot and the same goes with primers, powder and bullets.
Just curious where you got the average in m2 ball was 50 grs? Ive seen army data sheets that show 50 grs as the max a lot of propellant could be charged while still conforming to m2 specs. Of course, ive pulled 50s era m2 ball and had over 50 grs in the cases. Other countries may not have had to adhear to this. Didn't know if i was missing something?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk