Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2015, 02:05 PM

Nice video of what used to be available. I'm just glad there's a few left for us to buy.
FFL 03
Old 12-19-2015, 02:16 PM
Banned

Glad they got released to civilians rather than destroyed. That would have been a loss.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:26 PM

Back in 2011 was when I first heard of the CMP. Read up on all the paperwork and time needed before a rifle showed up, and just kept putting it off. Finally, in 07/12, my son and I hopped in the car and drove the 14 hours to the SS as a man-road trip. Walking in with all those rifles around was definitely an experience. Almost dead silent except for low chatter and the routine sound of bolts slamming home. Even then there were still plenty of gems in the racks. My son got the pick of the litter of a rack of Win-13s that is almost correct minus stock. Leon shied me away from a SA Special to a zero-wear SA SGS, which was a much better purchase. Walked out $4K lighter but very happy. Glad I did it. The only reason I haven't made the drive back was the stock level, but I definitely would do it again if I happened to be close by.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:51 PM

Oh wow. One of the few times I wish I was older than I am so I would have gotten "the fever" sooner. I thought I was in awe when I made my first and only visit back in August. It was a weekend they had some carbines. I regret not picking one up at the time, but had to stick with the M1, which was the reason for my visit.

Glad I was able to make it and find a Garand I love. Hopefully I can save up before they dry up, as I don't think one is enough now. I'd love to be able to make another trip up there.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:34 AM

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting dimmer and soon to be all gone! .....

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/Re...?sort=3&page=1
Old 01-08-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
Yep, I was on system overload when I first walked in and seen those full racks.
Could have been cosmo-paralysis.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:07 AM

One of the best memories I have is my trip to the N.S.

Called up one day and asked when the next truck was coming in, and they said one just showed up the day before.

Went into work, told my boss an emergency came up and I needed to take a day off work and that night left to make the 6+ hour drive from eastern PA to the N.S. with my dog.

Got there shortly after opening and scored an HRA/LMR, RRAD rebuild, and really nice 6 digit with a new VAR barrel.

Those are the three i'll never let go of.

Slept on the way there and the way back..great trip and really a once in a lifetime trip for me.

Always wanted to fly down to the S.S. also, but I was just never was able to make that happen
Old 02-02-2016, 06:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

I spent three days in the South Store in the summer of 2006, the second week the store was open. On the third day after seeing me all week long, Orest told me if I stayed another day, he would put me to work!

I bought three correct grade Garands on that trip. A 5.4 and 5.8 million SA as well as a 5.58 million HRA with LMR barrel. I drooled on the rows and rows of collector grade postwar SAs and HRAs, but I couldn't see much difference other than a few less bumps on the stocks of the collector grade SAs and HRAs that made them look like they were worth the extra $400 each. I bought some of that HXP in spam cans when it was something like $0.25 per round. Those correct grade and collector grade postwar SAs and HRAs were so identical that for the most part it just came down to which one had wood that you liked better than another. There were quite few of the 5.79 million SAs to pick from. There was a choice of LMR barrels on some of the HRAs. If you wanted an HRA, it was a choice between 4.7, 5.5, or 5.6 million ones. Every rack in the store was filled.

Later, I remember all the other stock that came into the South Store. The without wood rifles on the racks up on the wall, where you could see all the innards like you had X-ray vision. You could go down the racks and instantly pick out the uncut op rods (including Win-13 op rods), large pad WRA trigger housings, early follower rods, etc.

Glad I was only about a 9 hour drive away from the South Store, had a new job, and had a very understanding wife. Probably good for my bank account and marriage that I wasn't any closer to the South Store.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:22 AM

When I bought my correct grade at the SS there were no collector grades at that time. I asked Leon what was the difference between the two. He said "four hundred dollars". The correct does not shoot on bit better than the service grades.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ68 View Post
That must have been amazing to see full shelves and very few in the store and not 30 people in line waiting for hours for the store to open. If I had only known.
I remember on one Visit, I was the first customer and the only one in the store for over an hour. Yes, that was amazing.