Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2019, 06:21 AM

Default Anyone ever got rack #'s on grips?

Got this one a few years ago; only 2nd time I've ever seen rack #'s on sidearm...

Anyone else?

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on 09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?
Old 07-19-2019, 06:23 AM

Default rack #

I got a bunch of them
Old 07-19-2019, 06:27 AM

Now that is funny
Old 07-19-2019, 06:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

One here.....http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=249084
Old 07-19-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1911admin View Post
I got a bunch of them
No pics; no #'d grips

ed.:
That's humor boss...

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on 09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?

Last edited by ACampComLegacy; 07-19-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:38 AM

Is there any additional information on grip rack #'s? I recently received this Remington Rand CMP 1911 with B 14 on the left hand grip, and am curious if the grip rack numbers provide any additional historical information. Also any insight on the "38" on the upper right hand slide? TIA
http://www.imgurupload.com/images/20...0/IMG_0007.jpg
http://www.imgurupload.com/images/20...0/IMG_0009.jpg
http://www.imgurupload.com/images/20...0/IMG_0008.jpg

Last edited by ldnaar; 11-10-2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 11-10-2019, 07:02 PM

There was really no regularity on how units marked their weapons. Each of the different units I have been in marked their weapons differently. Usually stenciled on the grips for pistols or on the butt stocks for rifles. The arms rooms and vaults were usually poorly lit and the small serial numbers were very difficult to see when issuing weapons. The fix was to have a stenciled number that corresponded to the serial number. upon turn in the armorer would usually have a flashlight to verify serial number. Your pistol could have been assigned to B Company but no real way of telling what unit it belonged to with just the rack number. The number on the frame was just another way of putting a rack number on the weapon. At the time I served, the only guidance that I recall was the rack number was not to be permanent and a stenciled or painted number was considered a removable marking.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:38 PM

Mine has a painted one on the frame itself.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajDave View Post
There was really no regularity on how units marked their weapons. Each of the different units I have been in marked their weapons differently. Usually stenciled on the grips for pistols or on the butt stocks for rifles. The arms rooms and vaults were usually poorly lit and the small serial numbers were very difficult to see when issuing weapons. The fix was to have a stenciled number that corresponded to the serial number. upon turn in the armorer would usually have a flashlight to verify serial number. Your pistol could have been assigned to B Company but no real way of telling what unit it belonged to with just the rack number. The number on the frame was just another way of putting a rack number on the weapon. At the time I served, the only guidance that I recall was the rack number was not to be permanent and a stenciled or painted number was considered a removable marking.
Thank you for this information. These markings add to the history of these guns. While my husband (RNG 3031)received a beautiful service grade Remington Rand frame and slide, we both agree my field grade R/R has a lot more character with the original finish and various markings. When I received "the call" (RNG 9931) I was only offered Field or Rack grades. The FFL told us it was not as nice as our first one, so I was disappointed, but after seeing and examining the gun, I couldn't be happier. Thank you CMP. We never thought we would be fortunate enough to own a piece of military history, let alone two of them.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:12 AM

Hi, I received one, and lately have seen several. Mine looks like yellow grease pencil and the others I have seen, one on CMP Auction also looked the same. Mine looks like "48" the CMP one was marke "4" using the same closed top "4". Interesting to me is that they were all "SA" marked and 1911's, regards, Mike

PS: This is conjecture on my part and it may mean nothing,

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides