Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2016, 08:38 AM

Default Case ejection, keep your spent cases close

http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/i...howtopic=31633
Distinguished Smallbore Prone & Highpower Rifle, Presidents 100, Member US Palma Teams & US Dewar Teams. Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. Conducted small arms testing for US Army TECOM, Army Materials Systems Analysis Activity and the US Marine Corps.
Commandant USMC Commendation for "Exceptional Performance" on M16A1E1 Rifle Testing (adopted as M16A2) Army Commendation Dover Devil Cal 50 Machinegun Program.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:48 AM

To each his own. To me, that is pretty, uh...., well, I'll keep this reply civil.

For $20, I use these on all my removable carry handle AR's http://www.midwayusa.com/product/421...le-steel-matte . It's not obtrusive, easily removed and drops my brass just to my right, within a foot or so. I've used these for several thousand rounds and never has it caused a problem/jam.

pretty simple.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:03 AM

For sure the foam ones are not pretty and will do nothing for the Rambo image and don't look crude but about 12 can be made for about .20 each and they work.

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/t...ect.jpghttp://

I have the original plastic one issued for M16A1 by military that will eventually get a hole eaten through them when the case mouth hits them but they won't go on the A2 with the bump.

I have a metal one that looks almost identical to the one pictured that clamps on the rail and screws on made by TC that I like.

I have seen guys come to line with 1800.00 rifles, 225.00 coats, stools, Kowa spotting scopes etc totaling about $3000.00 and will stand there and rain brass on shooters next to them after driving maybe 200 miles or more to the match.

Last I read the rules state you are not supposed to interfere with shooters on adjacent points but I have never seen a range officer take any action for this.
Distinguished Smallbore Prone & Highpower Rifle, Presidents 100, Member US Palma Teams & US Dewar Teams. Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. Conducted small arms testing for US Army TECOM, Army Materials Systems Analysis Activity and the US Marine Corps.
Commandant USMC Commendation for "Exceptional Performance" on M16A1E1 Rifle Testing (adopted as M16A2) Army Commendation Dover Devil Cal 50 Machinegun Program.

Last edited by Hummer; 04-20-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:33 AM

Rambo image? Really?? You're serious??

Deflectors are strictly about being able to pick up one's brass, quickly & efficiently. That's it.

As far as "raining brass", it's part of the game. If you're offended by another competitor's brass hitting you, then I'm sorry to say you're in the wrong game. If you haven't been burned by hot brass you haven't been in competition on a line. Dress appropriately. Leave the shorts and tennis shoes home. Wear a cap and your coat has a towel collar-use it. I believe the same whining goes for people talking behind the firing line. I've watched "grown men" pitch a 5th grade hissy fit because someone behind the firing line is talking while "they're trying to shoot". IMO, if a shooter wants absolute silence & no influence from any other competitor, there's always golf. at least then they can wear their shorts and golf shirts.

If I were ever to have a RO or RSO attempt to take action against one of my firearms for ejecting brass properly, as it was designed to do, then I would file a protest and take it as far as need be up the NRA/CMP. I seriously, seriously doubt it'd go any farther than the tower, if that. Like I said, it's part of the game- be prepared.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StrikesNC View Post
Rambo image? Really?? You're serious??

Deflectors are strictly about being able to pick up one's brass, quickly & efficiently. That's it.

As far as "raining brass", it's part of the game. If you're offended by another competitor's brass hitting you, then I'm sorry to say you're in the wrong game. If you haven't been burned by hot brass you haven't been in competition on a line. Dress appropriately. Leave the shorts and tennis shoes home. Wear a cap and your coat has a towel collar-use it. I believe the same whining goes for people talking behind the firing line. I've watched "grown men" pitch a 5th grade hissy fit because someone behind the firing line is talking while "they're trying to shoot". IMO, if a shooter wants absolute silence & no influence from any other competitor, there's always golf. at least then they can wear their shorts and golf shirts.

If I were ever to have a RO or RSO attempt to take action against one of my firearms for ejecting brass properly, as it was designed to do, then I would file a protest and take it as far as need be up the NRA/CMP. I seriously, seriously doubt it'd go any farther than the tower, if that. Like I said, it's part of the game- be prepared.
Yep, part of the game, but there are unspoken rules that some competitors agree with, some don't, and some are blithely unaware of. I've seen High Masters, guys I respected, freak out over some minor violation of the social norms. It's shocking and disheartening when someone loses his cool, and that kind of drama is not good for anyone's score. For me, I want everyone on the firing line to shoot the best he can that day--I want to win because I'm a better shooter, not because some other guy got burned by brass. You protect yourself, but you also try to stay aware of where your brass is going.

As far as the talking behind the firing line goes, is that maybe more acceptable in rifle? In pistol, CROs scold people for talking during Slow Fire all the time.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:26 AM

"I want to win because I'm a better shooter, not because some other guy got burned by brass. You protect yourself, but you also try to stay aware of where your brass is going."

I agree with that completely. It is one thing to get burned by accident from an occasional round and quite another to continually utilize a firearm that you know does so and you do not exercise due diligence in an effort to protect others when you know you are the cause.

The Gunzone gives lists the entire development history of the M16

http://www.thegunzone.com/556dw-8.html Go to this site, scroll down to 1983, and then to February and read overview of the Aberdeen Proving Ground Testing.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:48 PM

wear a hood this is service rifle
Old 04-24-2016, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=

.[/QUOTE]

The brass deflectors the Army issues are to deflect brass away from shooters, not to make it easier to pick up brass. I can't speak to commercial deflectors.

xllx@msn.com
Old 04-24-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisxllx View Post
The brass deflectors the Army issues are to deflect brass away from shooters, not to make it easier to pick up brass. I can't speak to commercial deflectors.
Happily, they not only keep lefthanders from getting hit in the face, they also usually cause the brass to drop into a nice little pile, which is why some righthanders use them as well.

Technically, brass deflectors are unnecessary because the bump behind the ejection port on modern AR upper receivers took care of the lefthand shooter issue (the so-called "Brunton Bump" invented by Loren Brunton at Rock Island Arsenal).

Since I'm lefthanded, the brass piles up near my right elbow in prone with the deflector. If you add a little sticky Velcro to it, it does an even nicer job.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
As far as the talking behind the firing line goes, is that maybe more acceptable in rifle? In pistol, CROs scold people for talking during Slow Fire all the time.
In pistol, talking is not prohibited but it should be for official business only, not general conversation. This is one rule that the CMP defers to the NRA rule book.

Quote:
(a) Loud Language - Loud or abusive language will not be permitted. Competitors, scorers, and Range Officers will limit their conversation directly behind the firing line to official business.
There is a similar rule in the High Power Rifle Rule Book:

Quote:
10.2 Loud Language—Loud and/or abusive language that disturbs the operation of the match or the competitors while firing, is not permitted. Competitors, scorers and Range Officers will limit their conversation directly behind the firing line to official business. Verbal abuse by competitors or verbal abuse of competitors by match officials are grounds for disqualification or replacement of those guilty of such action.

Last edited by CDRT; 04-25-2016 at 08:03 AM.