Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2019, 08:46 AM

Default Upgrading a Colt Match Target Hbar A2

Hello all,
I am currently getting ready for my first season of shooting CMP/NRA matches. I purchased a Colt Match Target HBAR A2 at a reasonable price and I am looking forward to shooting it more. I have installed a NM front sight blade, and I purchased a decent leather 1907 style sling from champion shooters. I have a float tube on order, and I have also ordered a 1/4 MOA rear sight. Is there anything else I should consider isntalling on this rifle for shooting match? I am shooting groups that I am happy with as it is configured now, but I always enjoy tinkering with things! Thanks in advance,
-Squiby
Old 01-17-2019, 09:02 AM

Sounds like you've got a good start.

How is the trigger?

You could upgrade just about everything, but it all depends on how much you want to spend.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
Sounds like you've got a good start.

How is the trigger?

You could upgrade just about everything, but it all depends on how much you want to spend.
The trigger isnít great, but it isnít the worst one I have ever felt.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:55 AM

Do the Geiselle trigger and don't look back.

Don't handicap yourself with a single stage colt trigger.

https://geissele.com/hi-speed-nation...igger-set.html

Or if you just want get your toe wet, buy an RRA 2 stage trigger for under $100.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquibLoad View Post
The trigger isnít great, but it isnít the worst one I have ever felt.
Be careful with triggers and colt lowers. Colt uses non standard pins; and this really limits your options. Colt would not be a first choice for building a match service rifle.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:49 PM

OP:
You've hit them all...… the obvious upgrades (From a standard rifle) are:
-sights.
-trigger (Geissele makes several triggers for the Colt pins BTW)
-and free float the barrel.

Shoot the barrel out learning and then throw a Krieger in there. Done.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:05 PM

SOME Colts have different size pins. Measure first. Geisselle has triggers for small and large pins.

But if your rifle has a "sear block" you cannot get a HiSpeed National Match trigger into it without removing the block.

I forget who I sent mine to first, but they are well known. But the work they do on the sear block does NOT allow you to install the trigger. And when I emailed to ask about how we could proceed, the response I got back was nasty and seemed to imply I wanted a refund or something. When I CLEARLY stated, that they had done what they said, but that it wasn't what I needed, and just wanted to figure out if they could do what was required.

So, I had a local gunsmith do the work.

The problem is not the part that sticks up, it is that the forward face interferes, and the bottom part blocks where part of the Geiselle trigger goes.

So make SURE, that who ever you have remove it, understands what you need, and is willing to do the work to install the trigger.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:11 PM

Personally if this is a collectable Colt HBAR I wouldn't modify it.

ARs are cheap nowadays and if you want something to shoot then buy or build one up the way you want it.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
SOME Colts have different size pins. Measure first. Geisselle has triggers for small and large pins.

But if your rifle has a "sear block" you cannot get a HiSpeed National Match trigger into it without removing the block.

I forget who I sent mine to first, but they are well known. But the work they do on the sear block does NOT allow you to install the trigger. And when I emailed to ask about how we could proceed, the response I got back was nasty and seemed to imply I wanted a refund or something. When I CLEARLY stated, that they had done what they said, but that it wasn't what I needed, and just wanted to figure out if they could do what was required.

So, I had a local gunsmith do the work.

The problem is not the part that sticks up, it is that the forward face interferes, and the bottom part blocks where part of the Geiselle trigger goes.

So make SURE, that who ever you have remove it, understands what you need, and is willing to do the work to install the trigger.
Iím glad you brought that up! My rifle does have the sear block installed, and that is the one thing that has kept me from changing the trigger. I feel like once I go down that road there is no going back. Lower receivers are getting to be fairly affordable, and I have thought about building another lower just for shooting the match and keeping this one Colt. On the flip side, if I want to keep a rifle for a wall hanger, there are a lot prettier rifles out there that would fit that bill! I will run this buy my local gunsmith and see what he can do for me.
Thanks!
- Squib
Old 01-20-2019, 10:23 AM

Those blocks are a PITA.
Here’s a chart from Gisselle explaining their triggers as far as that:

https://geissele.com/colt-rifle-users-guide/

You may not have to remove the block, depending on your rifle.

Last edited by Gewehr43; 01-20-2019 at 10:26 AM.