Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 09:21 PM

Default Irwin Pedersen - restoration questions

To restore or not to restore and if so, to what degree? Based on the information below I’m seeking the answer to the questions at the end of this post. Thank you for your time and considered opinions.

What I have: “sporterized” M1 Carbine (montecarlo style stock with metal ventilated hand guard)

Receiver: Irwin Pedersen SN# 1,784,XXX
Barrel: Underwood dated 3-43 w/ type 2 barrel band
Bolt: S'G' “flat top”
Rear sight: adjustable for windage and elevation
Front sight: The numeral “5” on left “wing”
Trigger Assembly, Hammer & Sear stamped: S’G’
Operating slide stamped on bottom: S.G.
Safety: push button style stamped: IP-A
Magazine release button stamped: IP-W

Question 1: Should I restore to GI stock set and, is the CMP stock set a good choice for this?

Question 2: High or Low wood?

Question 3: 2 or 4 rivet hand guard?

Question 4: Other than the correct stock set, would I need to replace any parts above to make it more “correct”? Or would that not have much effect of the value of the firearm?

Last edited by dmc565; 03-19-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: I.D.'ed the bolt
Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 PM

I would definately get rid of the stock. As for what you put on it, that depends on what you want to spend. CMP offers nice stocks, but you can get genuine GI issue for less by looking around the forums. IP parts are scarce and expensive. Looks like most of the parts you listed could be correct. Rear sight would have been a flipper, stock should be high wood with a 2 rivet hand guard. There are varying opinions on what a restoration does to the value and "history" of a particular carbine. It is yours to do with as you please. You can leave history as it stands or write a new chapter.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:09 AM

Sporterized and Irwin Pederson! Wow! About the parts, that's all up to you!

But that stock. Get a USGI one.

http://whatacountry.com/stocks-m1-carbine.aspx

http://m1family.com
The M1 Carbine dedicated forum!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:15 AM

Get the proper USGI stock, leave the rest alone.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:44 PM

Default Thank you

...for the feedback and recommendations. I appreciate the help in deciding what to do. Looks like I will be scouting around for an IP stock set with appropriate buttplate. I'll post before and after pics once I've completed the project.

I have my 13 year old son to thank for this. While cleaning out the safe he noticed that the reciever said Irwin Pedersen. I told him it must be "Iver Johnson" and that he misread the markings under the rear sight. I thought it was an old junker my Dad had "sporterized" just to have something fun to shoot...I never paid attention to the details and I doubt my Dad ever knew what we had. I was going to sell it for some quick cash for what a used commercial carbine is going for these days...now...if things work out...I may be able to supplement my retirement, but no, I've already told him this is his rifle since he made the find.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:45 AM

Default Reference for proper stock set?

Can anyone suggest a good reference I could locate to discover what an acceptable "correct" stock set would be for the IP-S'G' mix master I have?
I'm having trouble locating an IP stock. Is RMC, QRMC, or TN, a good choice if I have access to them?

Thank you.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 PM

Craig Reisch's M1 Carbine Wartime Production. I think it's up to the 6th edition now. It's probably the best quick reference out there. "War Baby" is the bible for collectors though.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

Post a photo please !
Old 03-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Banned

I got the Reisch 6th edition off of ebay for 19.xx plus shipping. It's a good, quick first reference book for not much money. And it says inverted, stretched W hammers are White, and not Winchester.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Banned

You're gonna' have to take out a second on your house to afford IP wood. Early-on, RockOla supplied wood to IP. RMC, S'G' (not S.G.) would be considered correct.
Jon
Here's mine. 1776xxx. RMC stock. IR-IP handguard. All parts, including the mags are S'G' or IP except for the adjustable rear sight. It cost me less than $200. Don't ask. I've had it 20+ years.