Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2017, 03:35 PM

Default New Boyd's Stock Color Tint Options

I have a new Boyd's stock to finish off my IJ rebuild. I like the reddish brown color of the gunstock stain color. Has anyone used it on a new walnut stock ? I've never used it on walnut, but I've mixed it with red oak on other woods with great results. If anyone has used it on a new walnut stock please share some images of how it turned out. Thanks
Old 10-26-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REARSPROCKET View Post
I have a new Boyd's stock to finish off my IJ rebuild. I like the reddish brown color of the gunstock stain color. Has anyone used it on a new walnut stock ? I've never used it on walnut, but I've mixed it with red oak on other woods with great results. If anyone has used it on a new walnut stock please share some images of how it turned out. Thanks
My pics are on hold now because of photobucket, but folks do tend to favor the red-brown because it closely mimics an arsenal aged finish.

Whatever works for you is fine, but it is said that alcohol based stain is better than water based. I go a little darker than I want it because some of the stain will come off during oiling and buffing.

I use Chestnut Ridge Military Stock Stain. It has just about the right amount of red, but if I find it has too much showing I usually cut it with some American walnut.

Good luck
Old 10-26-2017, 11:39 AM

I use chestnut ridge 2 parts to one part gayle lock number 69. the number 69 tons down the red just a tad. Recently did a boyds stock and it turned out nice.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel24hrs View Post
I use chestnut ridge 2 parts to one part gayle lock number 69. the number 69 tons down the red just a tad. Recently did a boyds stock and it turned out nice.
Small world. I do the same when trying to tone down the red, but I normally use Gale Lock 1650, "Early American Walnut".
Old 11-05-2017, 05:13 PM

I used the gunstock first and then went over it with the red oak and the color came out perfect a deep dark reddish orange brown. After sealing it up with Tung oil the grain popped and it couldn't have come out better. I wish it was easy to post pics here directly without an image hosting site.

Last edited by REARSPROCKET; 11-09-2017 at 07:45 AM.