Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010, 11:48 AM

Default Stock pin repair

Hi I have a couple carbine stocks that could use a pin or two in them and was wondering how to do it. I saw the pin kits on brownells website but I have no idea where they should be placed or the proper way to install them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned

IIRC , the pins from Brownels come with specific instructions or their customer service folks can provide them. A quick & dirty summary:
Drill hole at close to a 90 degree to the crack. Requires the right size bit.
Put glue on pin if desired.
Drive pin with drill. Cut as close to flush as possible. Use a file followed but sand paper to smooth the pin down to completely flush.

I generally use a thin , slow setting glue like Zap-A-Gap on small stable cracks in non-stress areas. Clean & degrease wood , wick glue into the ( dry )crack , clamp. Pins are good for more reinforcement or for stubborn cracks.
Bill Ricca sells USGI threaded pins.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:19 PM

Default wicking glue into crack

I have a crack in a garand stock that goes down the top of a garand stock and along the outside edge from the clip latch cutout. it is only about an inch long and is too tight to spread. I have pins to try this repair but wondered if anyone has any tricks to get glue wicked into a real tight crack. I am not sure trying to spread with a small screwdriver would spread the crack and cause more damage than good. My tiny mind is open to any and all suggestions. This stock looks too nice and is too good of a stock to trash. Thanks for all replies.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:29 AM

Campperrykid, thanks for your info, I will try it on my junk stock first in case I mess up. Do you make the drill hole all the way through?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigunkid View Post
Campperrykid, thanks for your info, I will try it on my junk stock first in case I mess up. Do you make the drill hole all the way through?
Depends. I never planned to go all the way to the other side but it has happened.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbottom View Post
I have a crack in a garand stock that goes down the top of a garand stock and along the outside edge from the clip latch cutout. it is only about an inch long and is too tight to spread. I have pins to try this repair but wondered if anyone has any tricks to get glue wicked into a real tight crack. I am not sure trying to spread with a small screwdriver would spread the crack and cause more damage than good. My tiny mind is open to any and all suggestions. This stock looks too nice and is too good of a stock to trash. Thanks for all replies.
That can be an especially difficult area and I can't quite visualize the crack & how it runs.... Pic's and/or more details about the stock would help. Techiques that would be OK on nice utility shooter wood would be destructive if applied to a historic "collecter " stock.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:25 PM

What I do with a crack that is hard to get glue into is, take some dental floss or other fine thread get that into the crack and then draw your glue through the crack, moving the thread back and forth.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:25 PM

I do not have a pic of the crack but it runs down the top of the stock, where the receiver bottom sits, back from the cutout area on the left side towards the butt and also it starts in the same place and goes down on the outside and then back so if the cracked peice broke out there would be some wood go from the top and off the outside, like a slice off the edge taking materiel off the top and side. I am wondering if I used a dremel and cut into the crack on top where its covered by the receiver in the direction of the crack I would have a place for glue to go and a place for some floss to maybee get into it to bring glue in through the other side. Or plan 2, shoot the rifle until the crack gets big enough to use dental floss to get some glue in or get a syringe and try to pressure some glue into the crack. I have crazy glue, elmers and gorilla glue, Gorilla glue works pretty good and a little sanding is no problem, oh by the way its a birch stock if that makes any difference on a preferred glue. Thanks again for all and any suggestions
Old 01-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Either Zap-a Gap or the Goriilla glue applied with a syringe sounds good. Drilling a few holes right into the crack with a very small ( OK , tiny ) bit has worked for me.
Good luck and best wishes for a smooth salvage of a nice stock.