Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 12:22 PM

Default Pleasant Surprise

I had a pleasant surprise when I received this late Inland Carbine. Here is what I found, but did not know when I bought it online. Guess I had better learn to ask more questions

Old 02-18-2010, 12:31 PM

You mean the late run Inland hand-stamped "1"?

IIRC, it was because some during the changeover were destined to become M2s.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 PM

If you ask too many questions you will receive no pleasant surprises ! (somewhere from Confuscius sayings).. Harrison p. 24 lists, in Item 4., the handstamped "1" as a "Rare Recever Marking" for what it's worth.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:02 PM

I have one, too. Don't know for sure how many were marked like that but I believe all of them were made between 10/44 and 4/45 when the M2 was being phased into production. I'm sure there is someone who has an informed estimate of the numbers.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:14 AM

There are many hand stamped M1 Inlands..My guess is over 100000
Old 02-19-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MhoinNV View Post
Harrison p. 24 lists...
May he rest in peace, but Harrison was wrong on a number of things.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:39 PM

Fogtripper: I hear that generality quite often re/Harrison! Sooo was he wrong more than he was right? Was his contribution worthwhile to this big puzzle we attempt to put together knowing that there are many pieces missing, probably forever ?? I was even considering using it to level a table as another member had suggested but then got a red pencil that Mr. Riesch was also mistaken from time to time. Haven't heard any criticism yet on Canfield but am sure his name will surface as "being wrong". He certainly did a lot of work/research to put together his book and is one who we can be grateful to for attempting it at all considering the complexity of the project. I believe he mentions possible errors in his book and the difficulty in providing accurate information. We might "put 'em together" for Ruth, Canfield, Riesch and Harrison and anyone else who was willing to put in his efforts for this worthwhile work including CMP Forum members!! I have thought that writing a book on errors/corrections to these books would be worthwhile but I don't have that many years left. That is probably where the Carbine Club comes in and am anxiously waiting for my back copies ordered on 1st of Feb.

Carbineitis:If your guess of 100,000 could even be a ballpark figure(did you base it on something substancial??) it would represent approx 4.8% of Ruth's stated Total Inland Production p.358 of 2,049,502+, M1 Standard Carbines produced.
(100000/2049502). Rarety is a value/judgement call. Best case it's rare/worst case it's not common.

Fafenman: I consider my handstamped Inland "somewhat" rare !!

Last edited by MhoinNV; 02-19-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: error
Old 02-19-2010, 07:53 PM

I call them relatively scarce. The reason I call them that is that they number at least in the tens of thousands. Rare are those that number under 20,000. Carbines like Underwood lineouts to NPM or IBM/AO to NPM or Inland spring tube and Inland lineouts to Rock-Ola or Underwood are rare.....
Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 PM

I consider my IBM/AO and Inland handstamp to be nice variations that not everyone else has. I was lucky and got both of mine "luck of the draw" in the mail. They are the only two I will probably ever have, so that makes them that much more rare in my eyes.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:28 PM

When the first CMP White Bag carbines were released I just asked for two and didn't specify any particular wants. I got an Inland SG subcontract and an Inland spring tube. How's that for luck of the draw!?