X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danny
    • Jun 2011

Sling Length

I just got a 2nd Ron Brown sling for my birthday. There was an error in figuring out what my original length was. It turned out that the original was 52" and I had my wife order me a 50". For prone, the 50" is going to be long enough. I checked it compared to the 52". The unknown comes for seated position. I have not shot across-the-course for years, but may do so this year. I am hoping that the 50" will be long enough for seated. I do not remember back in the day if I had to lengthen, shorten or keep my prone setting when going to seated. I only had a brief moment to try my 52" in seated, and it seemed like I had to shorten it, or maybe keep the same length for seated. I use the old seated position, not cross-legged due to my body type. When I get home, I will try checking more in depth, but I am wondering which way you guys go for seated length compared to prone.
  • Roadkingtrax
    • Oct 2009

Everyone is different. Some keep the sling at the same setting for all three positions. I have always shortened it a hole setting or two for sitting, depending on the height of the targets and that particular range. This keeps my hand very close to my prone position. If you back your hand up to the receiver, it will be different.

Comment

• Danny
      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
      Everyone is different. Some keep the sling at the same setting for all three positions. I have always shortened it a hole setting or two for sitting, depending on the height of the targets and that particular range. This keeps my hand very close to my prone position. If you back your hand up to the receiver, it will be different.
      Thanks for the help. At this point in my life, I don't have to settle for a one size works for all solution. I have two Turner Slings, 54", which I use for my A2 ARs. I have the 52" Ron Brown, which I have only used for prone, and the new 50", which I just got. The shorter ones are for .30 cal. From what you say (that you stay at the same setting, or shorten a bit), I should be ok, as with the 50", it looks like I would have 2-3 holes left in prone.

Comment

• HighpowerRifleBrony
        • Nov 2015

Rifle, I lengthen about 2" for sitting to square up some. Carbine, shorten about 5" for more tension. My body's position is near identical with both.
        Last edited by HighpowerRifleBrony; 10-20-2019, 07:36 PM.
        Distinguished Rifleman #2223
        "Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara

Comment

• dw617
          • Jul 2013

AR15 Service Rifle w/ 54inch Ron Brown:

9: 200 sitting
          7 : 300 rapid prone
          8 : 600 slow prone

Everyone is different though. I like to "choke up" in sitting while having my hand all the way forward in prone.

Comment

Working...
          X