Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2021, 07:52 PM

Forget about "corrected grade" That is just a term that some guy who was completely confused came up with. There are only 3 kinds of rifle. "Original" which is a firearm that has all the original parts that were on it when it left the factory. Nothing has been changed since it was new. "Correct" which is a firearm that has all the correct parts for the time period that would have been on it when it left the factory, but these may not be the same original parts. Since these parts would be correct for the time period, but not the original parts, the rifle would naturally have had to have been corrected since the parts are not original to the rifle, but corrected is not a separate class of firearm. A firearm that has been corrected is still called a "correct" firearm. A rebuilt firearm with a mixture of parts is a "rebuild", commonly called a "mixmaster" in the Garand world. It surprises me there is so much confusion since the definitions are there and it is such a simple concept. I think it all boils down to the fact that there are so few "original " M1 Garands that some collectors, starting many years ago, started doing research to find out exactly what original parts would have been on rifles from every time period. These collectors went to great lengths to search for, and purchase these parts in order to build "correct" rifles as examples of what Garands from different time periods would have looked like. I give these early collectors credit for the time and expense they went through to provide us with the information and examples we have today. Then along came some, not so dedicated, collectors. They wanted the same kind of great rifles that the collectors had, but were not willing to go to the trouble and expense that the collectors did, so they started trying to create a class of rifle that their semi-correct rifles would fit into. No matter how much confusion they created, there is still only the three classes of rifles. There is no confusion about the classes of rifles among the experienced collectors.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:22 PM

To the guys that have a CMP papered correct grade, my hat's off to you for being able to afford such a nice piece. And to the guys that have made a rifle correct, I envy your knowledge, time you put into it, and expense.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Edited:
I, and apparently many others in this thread answered his Q a few years ago.
I have nothing new on this same old topic.

JH
The thread you referenced came up as from January 2021.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insurance guy View Post
I’ve always wondered about the “correct grade”.. So, the CMP sells a “correct grade”. Did they get that rifle as a “correct grade” ? Or did they make it a “correct grade” ? If they made it a correct grade, isn’t it a “corrected grade” ? I have 2 CMP “correct grades” which are in excellent shape.. Being they weren’t sold as a “collector grade” how’d they become a “correct grade” ? Just a slow day here and my mind was wandering !!!
this was posted by the man himself back in the Hey Day of selling correct grade rifles in the stores

03-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orest View Post
we did not build them - but - if we see a rifle that is otherwise correct and only needs a minor part to make it completely correct, we will replace the part and make the rifle correct.

NRA Endowment Life Member; Garand Collectors Association (GCA); Carbine Club; Ohio Gun Collector Assoc (OGCA)
Old 02-26-2021, 07:55 AM

Default Correct grade

Thanks Jim.. I guess that says it all !!!
Old 02-26-2021, 09:25 AM

I seem to remember some members of this forum making posts that stated CMP has been known to un-correct rifles by switching out a trigger group or something simple. If memory serves this was allegedly done primarily during the Greek returns days?
Old 02-26-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelap View Post
The thread you referenced came up as from January 2021.
Don't now how I misread that! You are corect.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old Yesterday, 02:08 AM

I never heard of a CMP "corrected" grade. And Orest stated way back that the only difference between correct and collector grade was the condition of the stocks.

That said I bought a couple CMP correct grades back when they were somewhat affordable and I have no intention of mixing parts around or buying "correct" parts for the others. By the way, their stocks look excellent.

This is getting too much like the "matching numbers" billsh!t regarding old cars.

Do what you want, they are your rifles (or cars). Don't let anyone sway you. Just don't bubba it up.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=134567
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

Just sat down and read this entire thread. My take ... correct means one thing... exactly as issued. Corrected ... parts/wood installed to bring the rifle to "correct" status. A arsenal refinished/reworked rifle w/ rearsenal stamps/etching is a reworked/refinished rifle.

Back in 2002 I bought a CMP SA 5.9 rifle (Barrel = 2/1956 ... TW=2.5 / MZ = 1.5) Upon inspection I found it to be correct except for the USGI replacement buttstock. I found and installed a period correct DAS matching walnut stock and handguards. The gas cylinder was replaced w/ a WWII era saw cut gas cylinder for shooting since it gave a tight fit and excellent accuracy w/o altering the splines. The original gas cylinder will stay with the rifle. I consider this rifle correct. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

This is a genuinely bizarre thread.