Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Is it Real or Repro?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2017, 11:48 AM

Default M1A 'W' marked 20 rnd cap mags...

Was at gun / pawn shop this morning, looking over the goodies.

Looked at some new M1A mags, 'W' marked. Shop guy looked up 'W', and told me it seems that there are many repro mags of this manufacture (some H & R subcontractor...)

Anyone know how fakes might be distinguished from genuines?

And, another was marked M1A / M14, but it was a BAR mag, SEY or SBY; was difficult to read. I looked for a hyphen, couldn't tell (didn't have glasses on).

Approximate value thereof?

THanks.................................

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on /09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?
Old 12-14-2017, 12:07 PM

Haven't checked if the link still works, but this is a great reference by Lee Emerson.

Reference Guide
Old 12-14-2017, 04:13 PM

Use caution on the W marked M14 magazines. I bought some from a company who claimed the magazines were USGI. They were not. My understanding is the real ones are rare.

The ones I got were marked W and were mostly heavily parkerized. Worse, they did not work and were totally unreliable.

I will now only buy and use CMI magazines, the current Military manufacturer, or I will buy USGI magazines from known forum members.

There are many fakes out there.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:09 PM

Thanks TLB - 'Free', and 'Buy in this Format'... Have to download it into Linux operating environment...?

Yup GM1man - they did have a HEAVY Park coating.

Clerk was honest about repros on market, but even if he cut $30 price tag, I guess 'No deal'.

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on /09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?
Old 12-14-2017, 06:27 PM

Chuck, I paid about $16.00 a piece for these fraudulent magazines, no less it was from a fairly large on line seller.

There are numerous specials run all the time on CMI M1A magazines from 44mag.com and Brownells that work real well and run about $20.00 per 20 round magazine, many times with free shipping.

Sometimes they will run a special on SAI Magazines, which are really CMI magazines made for SAI at a higher price.

Obviously, I do not work for any of these folks, but like I said, their specials can be valuable to you price wise.

Regards, Mike
Old 12-14-2017, 06:33 PM

I was previously able to download to a Mac. I had to give up an email address to download but no payment. Here is an excerpt:

Westinghouse Electric (East Springfield, MA) was a subcontractor to Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. in 1961 and to Olin-Mathieson Chemical Corporation in 1962 for M14 magazines.

The W marked magazines are a commonly counterfeited variant. If you know what to look for, you can greatly decrease the odds of someone taking you for a ride and sticking you with fake USGI magazines that may or may not work even for a premium price.

This magazine, like all legitimate USGI magazines except for one specific variation of the KMT marked ones, has the "classic" twelve plus one Government design specified spot weld pattern on the front spine. There are twelve large spot welds below the front side catch slot and one medium to large spot weld on the right side of it as viewed when facing the front spine. There are NO spot welds on the left side or above the front side catch slot. Also notice that there are NO alignment holes in the magazine tube behind the latch
plate.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:40 PM

TLB,

Thank you Sir, if I had known that, I could have saved myself some grief! It won't happen to me again.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:17 PM

THanks too there TLB; very good info.......

Old 12-15-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
Use caution on the W marked M14 magazines. I bought some from a company who claimed the magazines were USGI. They were not. My understanding is the real ones are rare.

The ones I got were marked W and were mostly heavily parkerized. Worse, they did not work and were totally unreliable.

I will now only buy and use CMI magazines, the current Military manufacturer, or I will buy USGI magazines from known forum members.

There are many fakes out there.
Agree. Bought 20 at Dallas show from dealer I thought was ok. The ones I tested worked ok but sold them at a loss . Had to argue with people that thought they were originals.