Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Is it Real or Repro?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2018, 11:04 PM

Not out of the realm of possibility for the greek stuff mixed up with turk stuff in the field.

That or the greeks used replacement grips from the same source as the turks.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T38Carbine View Post
Interesting! CMP did get some Turkish Garands, maybe a few bayonets were in the shipment? Rare bird indeed!
According to the GCA Journal, the CMP received 10 cartons of bayonets along with the Turkish M1s. It doesn't say how many that is or what kind they are.

I had been hoping some would be the original 10" and 16" ones and that they would show up in the e-store. Be kind of disappointing if they all turned out to be the M5A1. Even if they are Turkish made, it would be nice to have them listed as that, so we can know what we are buying.

Last edited by krdomingue; 04-09-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:41 AM

It would be nice to have the listed as that, so we can know what we are buying. QUOTE!

Hi Sir,

It's not like a few years ago. It appears it's now -This is what we want to sell today, buy it or not!
I remember only a few years ago I looked through a 6' table full of 16" bayonets looking for one with a 1909 marking!
True the stock is dwindling & they have to maintain all the many CMP functions!

I have been to the South store about 5 times in the last 2 years, met people from as far away as TX & New Mexico .
I would like to think the people in charge just might go out of their way for serious people.
The bad side the problem is the guy that came in a few years ago with his wife & three kids, they ALL bough the limit of M1 Garands. We all know they were sold at a local gun show in a week or so at inflated prices!

broom
Old 04-09-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
The bad side the problem is the guy that came in a few years ago with his wife & three kids, they ALL bough the limit of M1 Garands. We all know they were sold at a local gun show in a week or so at inflated prices!
There is a silver lining to your bad side. Even in that case, those rifles ended up in the hands of people who truly wanted them, and not rotting away in a Greek warehouse or chopped up and demilled.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdomingue View Post
There is a silver lining to your bad side. Even in that case, those rifles ended up in the hands of people who truly wanted them, and not rotting away in a Greek warehouse or chopped up and demilled.
Hi krdomingue,

Your right in a way.
BUT many others & I have a problem with CMP firearms scalpers!
They EXIST do to lazy shooters with more money then brains!

If the average American shooter would just join the CMP & buy their OWN rifle. It would stop almost all of these guys from over-pricing the firearms. That they are "SUPPOSE to buy for their personal use!

I know it will not change but I can WISH!

Keep them in the TEN RING!
broom
Old 04-10-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
BUT many others & I have a problem with CMP firearms scalpers!
They EXIST do to lazy shooters with more money then brains!
broom
With all due respect;
1. You may buy 8 per year. Have you ever met that limit (don't answer please, it's a rhetorical question)
2. You may buy 8 more next year.
3. CMP has enough to sell you the 8 and the rest of us as well.
4. CMP sells rifles. They have no reason to artificially limit the quantity, and have, many times, stated they want to sell them all as quick as they can. The do CMP no good in boxes in the warehouse.
5. We are Americans after all, and we are a commercial economy. If it's not prohibited, illegal or unethical why would any of us care? It does not keep me from buying my 8.
6. Lazy shooters with more money than brains? I will admit that while I don't buy Garands to sell, I don't care for that conclusion. Many people are collectors, not shooters (A group CMP has been very vocal about supporting just as they support shooters). Can you make money selling Garands for a profit? I suppose, but 8 per year (or however many the CMP sold those kids) is not really a living I would be proud of.
CMP has said their position is the rifles are the property of the purchaser and they have no interest in what they (legally) do once sold. Why should we?

I have a colleague with >100 Garands. I know he buys his limit, but I know he gets them from other sources as well. Don't know, don't care. He is an experienced and enthusiastic collector and buys and trades often to manage his collection. I know he shoots, but can't possibly shoot many each year. Who cares?
For all I know his wife has a CMP account and participates, Maybe his children?
It does not affect me, or anyone on this thread, and it is how CMP makes money.

I just don't get why some feel the need to get emotional over someone else's actions that can't possibly affect them.

I bought a Garand the week before a pretty big collectors gunshow in Birmingham. I brought it to the show (because I wanted to get some parts, and matching the finish is always nice). I had more than a few people ask me if it was for sale. I told the first person "no"; he looked at me like I was an alien. I then decided it, like all my fine firearms, is for sale, and told the remaining tire kickers it was indeed for sale; $1500 (rack grade IHC, and I really didn't want to sell it). If someone had offered that I would have taken the money and driven right back to Anniston and bought a replacement (probably not a rack grade either). No such luck. Good thing as I shot it the next weekend, it is now for sale at $1750.00.
JH
Old 04-10-2018, 09:49 PM

Hi ZvenoMan,

Your view is well stated. As a Tax paying American, your entitled to your view. Of course some of us can differ & that's our right too.

Enjoy every day,
broom
Old 04-12-2018, 06:22 PM

Back to the OP topic, the aluminum grips are most likely Turkish in origin, as they made a copy of the US M5A1 bayonet that used aluminum grips. Some of these Turkish M5A1's were sold last year by Dupage. The Turkish copies are unmarked except for a serial number on the butt. The aluminum grips are easily interchanged with the US M5A1.

Edit to add, I just checked the e-store M5A1 description and it no longer states US M5A1, just M5A1, which leads me to think they might be selling these Turkish M5A1 copies, in lieu of USGI bayonets. I recently ordered 3, so I will see what I get. I hope I am wrong, as the US made M5A1's are better made and more collectible.

Last edited by slufstuff; 04-12-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:29 PM

Hi slufstuff,

Thanks for the info! This variation of the basic type bayonet is a odd duck to me! But others & I have them in our collection! It's growing on me! LOL

Aluminum is more costly then plastic & it's would pick up heat or cold more easily then plastic! It gets darn HOT & COLD in some parts of Turkey!
It seems unlikely that a original American made bayonet would wind up with Turkish grips on a Greek return bayonet from the CMP!!

I might just look for a standard set of grips, but then again... I have a Greek Return Garand so it would be "correct"

Enjoy every day,
broom
Old 04-14-2018, 04:18 PM

Just received a bayonet from the South Store. It is marked U.S. M5A1 MILPAR COL with no visible DAS mark and has the aluminum grips installed. Came with a USM8A1 PWH marked scabbard. Seems like this one has an interesting past