Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2020, 03:50 PM

Default 7.62x 54r reloadable brass

If this posting is in the wrong place, just delete it I guess. Anyway, I am looking to hopefully find some once fired 7.62 brass with boxer primers. I have a bunch of Russian stuff made in 1972, silver tip stuff but it can't be reloaded from what i understand? I know a large rifle primer is to small to fit the hole and there isn't a center hole either. So, if you can help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 08-07-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captron View Post
If this posting is in the wrong place, just delete it I guess. Anyway, I am looking to hopefully find some once fired 7.62 brass with boxer primers. I have a bunch of Russian stuff made in 1972, silver tip stuff but it can't be reloaded from what i understand? I know a large rifle primer is to small to fit the hole and there isn't a center hole either. So, if you can help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks
Just order up some brand new Boxer brass.. the PPU is very good stuff

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...ategoryId/771?
Old 08-08-2020, 09:06 AM

Default 7.62x 54r reloadable brass

What you have is Berdan primed and those are hard to reload and almost impossible to find primers for.

Note on the PPU 7.62x54R: it is great brass but the primer pocket is deep (about 0.01 than other brass). You may want to not seat as deep as they’ll go.

Last edited by Stewbaby; 08-08-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:56 AM

Thanks Ammolab and Stewbaby. I did order brass from Grafs today. Thanks for the info and tip. Have a good one.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:47 PM

Next time you're looking for some, let me know. I'd be happy to sell the one-fired stuff I have been keeping for a bit. All shot through an SVT-40 or a Mosin.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:28 PM

I've found that, regardless of the caliber, by the time one pay 50˘ per each for brass, 5˘ per each for a primer, 25˘ per each for a bullet, then 17˘ for a charge of powder, it's generally more cost effective to just buy loaded PPU ammunition, shoot it and save the brass.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
I've found that, regardless of the caliber, by the time one pay 50˘ per each for brass, 5˘ per each for a primer, 25˘ per each for a bullet, then 17˘ for a charge of powder, it's generally more cost effective to just buy loaded PPU ammunition, shoot it and save the brass.
I agree, I usually never buy new brass, but with things as they are today, I could only find steel cased ammo and no used brass. I went ahead and ordered a bag of "cheap" PPU brass (50) and reloaded them. I don't reload steel cases personally but as I understand some do?? I already had primers, bullets and powder from before this crazy stuff started so it worked out ok....I guess?
Old 09-08-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captron View Post
I agree, I usually never buy new brass, but with things as they are today, I could only find steel cased ammo and no used brass. I went ahead and ordered a bag of "cheap" PPU brass (50) and reloaded them. I don't reload steel cases personally but as I understand some do?? I already had primers, bullets and powder from before this crazy stuff started so it worked out ok....I guess?

You're right, not much if any PPU to be had. Sounds like you did the right thing.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packardrod40 View Post
Next time you're looking for some, let me know. I'd be happy to sell the one-fired stuff I have been keeping for a bit. All shot through an SVT-40 or a Mosin.
Hi, I just found your response. I am interested, so what do you have??
Old 09-12-2020, 12:02 PM

I sent you a PM with what I have, not sure if you received it or not.

Tags
7.62x54r brass