Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2019, 04:16 PM

Default What's The Deal?!?

A3 prices are at an all time high and it's almost nuts! $800 for a decent rebuild, what the??? And that damn American Enfield is hot on its trails!

Maybe I should sell the few that I have and keep looking for deals on others?

I guess popularity trumps this time, because there is no shortage of supply!

I think I'm going to sell my nice "original", with the proper mix of blued and parkerized parts for a grand, add a few hundred bucks, and buy a nice WWI era '03! Is there really just a few hundred dollars difference in price?

What about a nice A1 with the pre-war C-stock and mid '30's barrel and receiver? Or one of those left over RIA's built at SA with the late '20's dated barrel?

Are these really worth just a few hundred more than a nice A3??

You guys keep buying those A3's and maybe one of those other cool rifles will slip into my hands.

Mike
Old 04-16-2019, 10:04 AM

I've noticed the same thing and can only surmise that it is driven to some extent by the rise in popularity of vintage rifle matches. With the receiver mounted sight on the 03A3 being much more useful for shooting, this may be driving some of the demand. It's either that or video games!
Old 04-16-2019, 02:08 PM

1903's and 1917's are simply drying up! Consider all that were de-milled and sporterized over the years and on top of the growing popularity of the CMP games and yes...videos... ugh. 03A3's are out there but fewer were produced. Most all theses rifles are now over a century old.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:36 PM

Default 03A3 High Prices

I just got back from the Tulsa show and I concur....but are they selling for the higher prices, or is it just people asking inflated prices and not selling anything? I thought the people there in Tulsa must have stopped in Colorado on the way over and imbibed....especially the lower level at the show! Things seemed more outrageous down there than on the upper level. Somehow I still managed to spend all my money.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
A3 prices are at an all time high and it's almost nuts! $800 for a decent rebuild, what the??? And that damn American Enfield is hot on its trails!

I think I'm going to sell my nice "original", with the proper mix of blued and parkerized parts for a grand, add a few hundred bucks, and buy a nice WWI era '03! Is there really just a few hundred dollars difference in price?

What about a nice A1 with the pre-war C-stock and mid '30's barrel and receiver? Or one of those left over RIA's built at SA with the late '20's dated barrel?

You guys keep buying those A3's and maybe one of those other cool rifles will slip into my hands.

Mike
I just bought my first '03 today, from CMP North. To be honest, as mentioned in this thread, to me, the A3 is the most desireable because of the rear sights, but I am more of a shooter, maybe you aren't, so that might change things. As far as the prices go, inflation affects all things over time, and there are finite amounts of these rifles available. The A3 with the good sights might be affected by the growth of Vintage matches.

I bought some surplus rifles back in the early 90s from Woolworths. One of those was a Swedish Mauser, that I now know was unissued (not at all refurbished). I was young and did not know better and sold it off. It was bought for maybe $79.00. I have never seen one even close to as good as that one, and those seem to go for $600.00 and up...if and when you can find them.
Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

Words that are always found together:
USA: Liquor Store and Robbed, Pressure Cooker and Explode
Germany:
Air Show and Rammstein

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:59 PM

It’s ironic as in the past the 03A3 was always considered the ugly step sister in the Springfield family. Though strong enough, wartime expediences lessened the quality of construction when compared to pre-war 03s. Today I think just about all WWII vintage rifles of US issue have achieved somewhat of a cult status and with that comes the price of admission. You can just about break it down into pre and post CMP involvement in rifle sales with cost escalation coming on after the CMP jumped into the pool with both feet first. That started the rush and since then scarcity has been on the rise. Just my observations on things.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

Mike
Arnt surplus guns always at an all time high? They don't make them anymore. Plus the economy is good and people are buying. If there's another slow down, people will be selling guns to make the payment on the house they over paid for.

I do agree with you, It is crazy what some people are paying for guns right now.

I'm glad there's an increased interest in the vintage games, maybe it will save highpower.
With that being said, be on the lookout on the for sale section. I'm going to be selling some of my "shooter" A3s soon