Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2015, 06:56 PM

Thank you Garandsrgr8. Yes, I think (okay, I know) you're right. Sorry, I know I sound like a kid. Yes, I'm just trying to find evidence to support what I want to hear. It was just, something I had already unfortunately sunk my time and money into already so I was really hoping there might be another way out. I'm slowwwlly sinking my head and accepting the fact that maybe I got a bad deal after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandsrgr8 View Post
Andy - all of us like saving a few bucks where possible. But a few bucks measured against the very real risk of losing a hand, an eye, or something even more serious just does not add up to much. It seems that you have had the advice of a professional gunsmith, but keep looking for internet and or forum support to ignore that advice. Like rcolarco said, if a professional gunsmith who has actually examined the rifle advised me not to shoot it-----I would listen to him.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:02 PM

Hi Chuck, thanks very much for your response. Honestly I did not see your reply yet before telling the other guy I was thinking of shipping to you. Still trying to get the hang of this forum format.

Do you have any USGI barrels which could be installed, maybe even one from 1942 like the one I have? Or if I'm going to the trouble to get a new one is it smarter to just get a new-production barrel? And if new-production is best then do you have those available, or would I need to ship it to you?

Last, if I am not being rude by asking, would you mind telling me what your installation costs for a 1903 barrel typically run? I did call you on the phone one day when I was first looking at 1903's, and you were very helpful (and very patient) with my questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
time for a new barrel.
shooting these rifles that were used for Salute use, can be dangerous..
keep in mind, you have a small bomb less then 10 inches from your face...
a new barrel, installed, will give you years of safe use..
Old 05-02-2015, 07:54 PM

Thanks again Chuck. I just found this online, so sorry for the many questions. Hopefully this is still valid.

http://criterionbarrels.com/media/warpath_vintage_llc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
time for a new barrel.
shooting these rifles that were used for Salute use, can be dangerous..
keep in mind, you have a small bomb less then 10 inches from your face...
a new barrel, installed, will give you years of safe use..
Old 05-02-2015, 09:59 PM

sure its valid.. iv just started as a dealer for them before Christmas..
Old 05-04-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyschrader View Post
Thank you Jpm, yes I do think that sounds like a good idea. Or like PresidentG said I may ship it to the CMP for $30.00 and have them look, and if they don't like it either then I can get a new barrel installed for about $350.00 including parts and labor.
There is your best answer to your question. If the Custom Shop says the barrel is bad, it's bad. You should absolutely do this since your local gunsmith didn't like the barrel.

I used to have a Greek return RIA 1903 with its original Springfield Armory barrel (late RIA serial number). It was a Rack Grade. Even after heavy cleaning, passing a patch through through the bore was "interesting". The bore felt rough and the area in front of the chamber was extra rough and enlarged - amazing what you can feel with a cleaning rod and a patch. It shot accordingly. At 100 yards it would hold the black of a SR target, so about a 5 inch group.

On the other hand, at a gun show, I bought a sporterized 1899 Krag Carbine with a very dirty bore. Got it home and after several days of cleaning, it turned out the bore was just gunked up with dust, grime and congealed oil. It was almost mint.

Your gun is clearly more like my RIA. Set your mind at ease and send it to the CMP. I sure wouldn't want to shoot a rifle that fell below their Rack Grade criteria!

Good luck. Post some pictures!

Also, if you want a period barrel, prowl eBay and Gunbroker. you may find a NOS period barrel. Lots of good Remington barrels out there.

Tags
1903, bore cleaning, overpressure