Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2016, 11:57 AM

Question M1941 (1903)USMC Sniper clone attempt slideshow

http://s1150.photobucket.com/user/Ga...lone%20attempt

I have wanted a USMC Sniper clone for years, but the price was just too high for me. Finally, I sold enough Garand stuff to buy a clone. But that didn't work out - I trusted the wrong guy. Very frustrating experience. So I decided to do the best I could to build my own, with my limited skills (and even more limited knowledge of 1903's). I looked at a lot photos you guys have posted here on the forum, and did the best I could with the parts I had on hand and a few items I could purchase. Yes, I know it's a "Frankenrifle", and a feeble attempt at a M1941. I need your help to make it as near like the real USMC M1941's as I can. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, or sources for correct parts that any of you are willing to offer. I think I have a nice barrel, a real bolt, and a real USMC 8X Sniper Unertl, mounts, and E base. I don't know what this O base is. I think the C stock is a Remington, maybe. I built the front handguard. Headspace is excellent. Bolt works smoothly. I haven't fired it. Please help me out with your knowledge. I won't be offended by your comments, as I know dang little about these rifles (as I expect you can see from my work). Thanks.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:33 PM

Looks good for the most part. The only major thing I would mention is to the best of my knowledge (which is limited) the scope spring was not used on actual USMC Snipers. A few tiny things did catch my eye, but I am not knowledgable enough on these to try and make any serious critiques, but over all it looks good.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:07 PM

Safety isn't correct of course. That's a nice lookin rifle. Hows it shoot?
Old 09-04-2016, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the comments. I wanted to take the scope spring off, as I read it wasn't used. But I don't know for sure how to disassemble the scope to take it off, and I don't want to damage it because I don't know what I'm doing. I found some photos of the safety calling it a "Wisner Wing" - was that a sporter/aftermarket thing? What safety should I have? My receiver had a Lyman peep sight base on it, thus the screw-plugged holes. Were any of the M1941's built on receivers that had been drilled for the peep sight?
Old 09-04-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenD View Post
Were any of the M1941's built on receivers that had been drilled for the peep sight?
The USMC Unertl snipers were built on the Marine NM and Special Target rifles. I have the Marine team documents, and there were some Marine 1903 NM/Special Target rifles that did have lyman 48 sights installed. But the catch is, they were done very early in the Team history and just not a lot were done.

They mostly used the lyman 48 sights on the 1903 Heavy Barrel rifles that they called the International Matches, and later renamed the Free Rifles. But even those, they didn't have many. They seem like they were phased out when the Marines got away fromt he heavy barrel 1903's and started to favor the Winchester rifles.

The vast majority of the known snipers are from the final NM orders going to the Marines. Which by this time, the Marines had long ago stopped using lyman sights on the 1903 team rifles, except for the Winchesters.

I have never seen a real one that was drilled for a lyman 48, and if it was, it would have to be a pretty early one, which is very uncommon.

I would personally be suprised to see a real one drilled for the lyman 48, and if it was, my initial thought would have been it was done post USMC service.

I really honeslty doubt any were used.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:40 PM

Sir,
Thank you for the information. As I go looking for another reciever, what should I be looking for? I am not trying to build a "fake" to fool anyone, just trying to get as close to representing an original as i can. I know there must be a lot nuances that are common to all, or most, of the real M1941 rifles. I could not find enough info on sears and extractors. What would be the best "fit"? Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks,
Ken
Old 09-04-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I wanted to take the scope spring off, as I read it wasn't used. But I don't know for sure how to disassemble the scope to take it off, and I don't want to damage it because I don't know what I'm doing. I found some photos of the safety calling it a "Wisner Wing" - was that a sporter/aftermarket thing? What safety should I have?
They were just the standard safety from SA that was on the NM bolt, that the Marines received. The Marines didn't do anything to the safety or change them.

On removing the spring, it's actually pretty easy. You unscrew the eyepiece till it comes off. Then that ring with the 8 on it, unscrew that till it comes off.

Now you have to be careful as the crosshairs are right there and exposed, and if you still have the original center dot crosshairs in the scope, you can not replace that center dot. Or at least I know no one who does. So if you have the center dot, don't hit those crosshairs.

But otherwise the mounts then can just slide off the tube, the same with the spring. And you just put it back together in reverse. It really is pretty simple. I know the first one I did, I was scared too. lol But it's a couple minutes and not very hard.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I could not find enough info on sears and extractors. What would be the best "fit"? Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks,
Ken
They were only replaced if they needed it, so they were either the original NM factory parts in the rifle or when the Marine teams ordered replacement sears and extractors from Chief of Ordnance US Army, they specififed they were to be NM sears and NM extactors. So I know the markings on those changed over the years. Most I see are marked CV, but they also are late rifles, so those are probably what was on it when it shipped from SA.

I will PM you on your receiver question. I always struggle with how much to say publically on these rifles.

To be honest you didn't do a bad job really. I think you deserve a lot more credit than what you are giving yourself. I've seen people who identify as experts on them, do a lot worse on building one.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:

I don't know what this O base is.
I forgot to answer that. The O and E bases, are just the Unertl markings that you see under the bases.

The O was the base that fit on the receiver. The E was the base that fit on the barrel.

It was just the markings on the original Unertl bases so you can tell what they fit. A part identifier basically.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:58 PM

cplnorton,
Thank you for the information and kind remarks. The O base was marked O, but it has a different finish (like case-hardened look on it). The E base I know for sure to be real Unertl, it was fairly smooth black. I appreciate your help. Ken.

Tags
1903, m1941, sniper, usmc