Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2018, 10:01 PM

Default Late Remington 1903 Modified Example Pics/Questions

Hello all,

First of all my thanks to John Beard, Rick the Librarian, and everyone else who has contributed knowledge on 1903s to the internet. The amount of information out there on these rifles is really excellent.

I picked up a Remington 1903 at auction recently. It appears to be a late production 1903 Modified, and to my eye has not be re-aresenaled or refurbished. I would love to hear an opinion from the experts, as well as provide some pictures for anyone doing research on similar rifles.

Imgur gallery:

Details:

https://imgur.com/a/2rPq5

Things that point to the rifle being as-issued (in my opinion):
- 10/42 Barrel, Serial # 3315747 (dates to 11/42)
- Grey/Green Parkerization
- Blued small parts (mag cutoff, sear, bolt, sight, mag follower, screws)
- Blued bolt
- Stock stamped with R inside, no grasping grooves, boxed FJA stamp, crossed cannons, RA stamp, recoil pins
- All parts marked with R
- 42 R marked bolt

Transitional Late 03/Early 03-A3 Features:
- Receiver bridge is partially cut for 03-A3 sight
- 03-A3 pattern bolt with 1903 striker assembly
- Rear sight base without WWI lightening cuts & 2850 yard notch
- Stamped trigger guard, follower, upper band, lower band, stacking swivel
- 03-A3 magazine spring
- 1903 pattern sear
- Smooth buttplate, R marked

Things I an unsure about:
- Stock has cut outs for 03-A3 handguard ring
- Smooth buttplate, R marked
- Can't tell if the lower band, stacking swivels, and rear sling swivel were blued or parkerized due to patina.
- Multiple rack numbers on the stock. Looks like "A I" with "9" below it, and then further down "101". The whole area of the stock has a circular impression over it with a wavy pattern. Any guesses?

Thanks in advance! If anyone would like pictures of any particular part for reference/comparison I would be glad to provide.

Last edited by D.R.; 02-28-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:26 PM

Your rifle has been re-stocked with an M'03-A3 stock. The upper band and buttplate are incorrect. The trigger guard has been refinished (parkerized). The lower band has also been refinished (parkerized) and is probably incorrect. Everything else looks correct and original, including the finish.

Thanks for sharing!

J.B.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Your rifle has been re-stocked with an M'03-A3 stock. The upper band and buttplate are incorrect. The trigger guard has been refinished (parkerized). The lower band has also been refinished (parkerized) and is probably incorrect. Everything else looks correct and original, including the finish.

Thanks for sharing!

J.B.
Thanks for the reply, and for your work in general. One of the sources I used was from your reply in 2009 to a similar question:

"The correct stock for your Remington, S/N 3081xxx, would have a straight grip, would not likely have grasping grooves, and would be marked "RLB" on the left wrist.

The correct buttplate would be a smooth milled buttplate marked "R" inside the cap.

Hope this helps.

J.B."

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=17493

What buttplate should this rifle have on it? An 03-A3 style with the checkering? Incidentally, do you know why Remington started making smooth buttplates? Was it just an artifact of the RIA tooling?

The trigger guard appears to have a heavy patina and I am not sure if it is actually parkerized. The inside of the mag well is still blued, which I don't think could happen if it'd been parkerized, but I am not experienced enough to know for sure. The stock certainly stuck out to me, but I wondered if it was possible that an 03-A3 stock found its way onto this rifle, being that it was the last few weeks of 1903 production. I found at least one other person wondering the same thing, but wrote it off to wishful thinking.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 03-01-2018, 08:32 AM

Stock has the tell tale markings of a 03a3 Drill stock as well.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smag View Post
Stock has the tell tale markings of a 03a3 Drill stock as well.
Thanks for the input. What kind are markings are seen on drill stocks?
Old 03-01-2018, 02:38 PM

Unlikely that a M1903A3 stock dated from when the rifle was produced. I believe a M1903A3-type Remington buttplate would be correct.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:35 PM

Your rifle's trigger guard appears either very rusty or parkerized. If it's still blued on the inside, then it must be rusty. It must have come with the stock which, unlike the rest of your rifle, has seen better days.

Your rifle should have a Remington stamped checkered buttplate. Remington smooth milled buttplates were an artifact of RIA tooling.

J.B.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:54 PM

Gotcha. One thing that I overlooked is the RA cartouche - that would be further evidence that it isnít the original stock since the RA stamp didnít come out until SC production started, right?

Any yes, the trigger guard has DEFINIETY seen better days. Ha.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:52 PM

The RA stamp didn't get used until several months after SC production started (late 1942).
Old 03-01-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R. View Post
Gotcha. One thing that I overlooked is the RA cartouche - that would be further evidence that it isnít the original stock since the RA stamp didnít come out until SC production started, right?

Any yes, the trigger guard has DEFINIETY seen better days. Ha.
SC production had been underway for many months before the RA stamp came along.

J.B.

Tags
1903, modified, pics, remington, transitional