Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2019, 11:41 PM

Default Trigger guard coming loose?

After about 25 rounds I noticed groups stated opening up somewhat. Thought rear sight was moving but upon closer look found that trigger guard had popped open about 1/8". Gave it a good smack and it snapped back into fully closed. A few days later with about the same amount of shooting it did it again. This is a factory bedded receiver/trigger group NM by S/N approx 2002 mfg. Anyone ever experience this? Suggestions?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2019, 06:54 AM

My SAI Supermatch has the latch end of the triggerguard bent forward to make it latch well. As in a lot. As in has to be sprung rearward a bit to pass the end of the trigger to close it So I guess the short answer for you is to to tweak a bit more bend in yours. Long answer is there may be something a bit off in the angles of the SAI components that there is no camming action to lock it shut correctly.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:56 AM

Drop the trigger group. Replace the trigger guard.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:32 PM

Check your stock bedding where the rear of the trigger housing rests. There should be a groove where the trigger guard hook rests. if there is excessive bedding compound in the rear of the groove it will prevent the trigger guard hook from locking into the trigger housing properly.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k98dave View Post
After about 25 rounds I noticed groups stated opening up somewhat. Thought rear sight was moving but upon closer look found that trigger guard had popped open about 1/8". Gave it a good smack and it snapped back into fully closed. A few days later with about the same amount of shooting it did it again. This is a factory bedded receiver/trigger group NM by S/N approx 2002 mfg. Anyone ever experience this? Suggestions?

Thanks
Hi Dave, when Bula first came out with their trigger groups, I ran into a couple that had this problem. The trigger guard bend and angle were off compared to the g.i. ones when laid beside each other.

My fix was to get the bend or curve in the guard to match, then heat it in the oven at 400 degrees for 50 minutes, take it out and let cool naturally in the air, then run another cycle in the oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, and it will take the set you put into it and stop coming loose.....providing of course, that you checked the area that RDS mentioned, and no wood or bedding are interfering.