• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolling Thunder
    • Oct 2009

Springfield - Winchester Duplicate WW2 Serial Ranges

• WRA: 1,357,474 to 1,387,9xx (WRA overrun of SA serial numbers) ~30,000 +
    • SA:.... 2,415,850 to 2,536,5xx (SA overrun of WRA serial numbers) ~121,000 +
    • WRA: 1,601,150 to 1,640,3xx (WRA overrun of SA serial numbers, the "WIN-13" variation) ~39,000 +

Approximately 190,000 total

You can add your SA or WRA duplicated serial number to this page maintained by Rob30-06:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=110

Last edited by Rolling Thunder; 07-09-2018, 01:32 PM.
  • parmel
    • Oct 2009

Duplicates

Of the cited serial number groupings, which ones have any annotation on the receiver as being a duplicate? I seem to recall some SA's had an A(?) suffix on duplicate WRA serial numbers?

Comment

• mdoerner
      • Oct 2009

Which one got the "A" suffix was at the whim of the unit with the duplicate, I think....Some SA's got the A, others the WRA.....

Mike D

Comment

• MGentry
        • Oct 2009

Mike D is right, units that had duplicate rifles with the same serial number put the "A" on the receiver of one of them not the factory. So even if a unit had a rifle with a duplicate serial number if the unit didn't have the "sister" rifle, then the "A" was not stamped on the serial number. I have two Winchesters in the duplicate range that were not "A" stamped. One is a WIN-13 and the other is serial number 1,376,XXX and I, like Paladin601, wish I could find the SA sisters to my Winchesters.
        Last edited by MGentry; 11-07-2014, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• hogleg
          • Nov 2009

I just picked out SA 1640348 today at the south store. Was this S/N an over run by WRA into the SA block?

Thanks

Comment

• MGentry
            • Oct 2009

My WIN-13 is 1,611,3XX.

Comment

• Amish Bob
              • Oct 2009

I own a springfield serial 1628XXA. (may of 43) The A was applied at the CMP when it came thru their program. Looks like they used an electro-pencil.

I don't see a problem with the extra letter, I just wondered why the CMP thought it (at this point of the guns history) needed to be added. But it's an interesting variation non the less.

AB

Comment

• Rolling Thunder
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Amish Bob View Post
                I own a springfield serial 1628XXA. (may of 43) The A was applied at the CMP when it came thru their program. Looks like they used an electro-pencil.

I don't see a problem with the extra letter, I just wondered why the CMP thought it (at this point of the guns history) needed to be added. But it's an interesting variation non the less.

AB
                Bob,

I don't think CMP marked those receivers as duplicates, they have been observed long before CMP was organized. A few appeared randomly as DCM sales rifles in the 1970's - 1980's and as imports.

Comment

• REB13
                  • Oct 2009

My WIN 13 is #1,611,03X.

Comment

• hurricane1
                    • Feb 2011

I have SA 2910720A This is not in the duplicate serial number range. I have CMP papers stating the "A"

Comment

• rgb03
                      • Feb 2010

heres mine.

Comment

• Goldiver
                        • Jul 2011

I recently bought a CMP special marked with an "A". I wasn't even looking for one, and mine is maked faintly so I didn't know until I got my certificate showing an A after the serial number. Mine is in the 2,454,000 range.
                        "NUTS!" - Brig. General Anthony McAuliffe

22 December 1944 Bastogne

http://www.army.mil/article/92856

Comment

• wstanley
                          • Jun 2010

I bought a WRA w/ WRA barrel from CMP that is in the in 2.46 serial range and does have the A etched at the end of the serial number. From what I have read and learned on the forum, the branch of service unit that had a duplicate serial number would place the A after the serial number to distinguish the rifles between SA and WRA. I guess this was done when they were sent to the Army or whatever brach of service. I believe Orest said that CMP did not etch the A on these duplicate serial numbers. If someone can provide more information on this or where a good source is, please do.

Comment

• Dec 2009

I'm looking for Springfield 1,621,199
                            Last edited by 2400; 05-12-2012, 09:00 PM.
                            D.A.V., M.O.P.H., N.R.A. Life Member

AZ. Chief Hunter Ed. Inst.

Looking for Springfield #1621199 to go with my Winchester

Comment

• Skylerjack1234
                              • Oct 2011

I own a Springfield serial #13799**
                              Skyler M Jackson

Comment

Working...
                              X