Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2018, 09:04 AM

Those bands that were original to Inland carbines would have been grit blasted when they were on the barrels and prior to the application of the finish (phosphate or black oxide). You can tell that the one above (op's) is a replacement because there is no grit blasting and therefore the stamp is crisper.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:29 PM

Chris
If I can, I would like to say the band looks to me to have been blasted. I have taken them out of sealed packs and they were blasted so the stamp was hard to read.
On the other hand, I do have one band that the stamp is perfect and the band has not been blasted.
I thank you for the explanation for it. When I can, I'll post a picture of each, new out of pack and not blasted.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:03 PM

Pictures of AS band looks blued not blasted.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:07 PM

Pictures of AS band out of sealed pack. I opened it many years back. Looks to me blasted. All the AS type 2 bands I have on carbines look like this one.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:23 PM

Looking at your photos, it's hard to say what the finish is as there is quite a bit of cosmoline on the band. It may be that some bands were grit blasted as spare parts. The spare part bands that I have seen are in the clear and orange wrapping. I still say that the op's band is not grit blasted. JMO
Old 11-12-2018, 01:08 PM

Typical with carbines, finishes changed over time. The amount of blasting was up to the operator and the size of grit was up to supply clerk. Chris, is the blued one I posted pictures first, typical of the blued spare part bands you have seen?