Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2022, 02:14 PM

Lumpy,
You have to train your eyes to look a the smallest of details. Once you began to see, all will be clear.
What Rick B said is true, and to me, a faker's work, is not a laughing matter.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:42 AM

Sorry he took it out of context as I didn't call you a forger. I stated you were not able to see the differences easy like the forgers. Especially the one that made the stamp in question. My point was the more we point out the exact reasons it is a fake shows them how to fix their mistakes. I then showed you the best way to prove fake is by a photo comparison. I also made note that the reasons you stated it looks fake are 100% wrong as many originals are all of what you said are wrong. So my help tuned into butt hurt and I apologize for that. I still stated facts and nothing was meant to attack you. I have become more hardened after many decades of being attacked by those who either forged, didn't understand a real from a fake and those who just hate me just to hate. I ate plenty of that over the years but I still know more about the M1 Garand stock than any others at this point and have always helped for free. Rick B
Old 11-26-2022, 12:22 PM

Every hobby has it's followers who are authoritative yet decline to share the knowledge by stating it would be against the greater good.

As I said, my opinion is it is laughable, and any who know me understand that in no way does that mean I consider any fraudulent activity "laughable".

We must train our eyes but are unable to acquire the information and training from those suggesting we train our eyes. Got it.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:58 PM

I would suggest that anyone who is interested in or is in the market for cartouched stocks to build a file of "known to be authentic" stamps and keep them in your computer and/or cell phone. That way if you come across something online, at a pawn shop, gun show or whatever you'll at least have something to compare a questionable stamp to.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
We must train our eyes but are unable to acquire the information and training from those suggesting we train our eyes. Got it.
The Expert's Paradox.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:49 PM

Rick managed to obtain a "Barn" full of stocks and it is unlikely that the fakers were busily at work banging out fake cartouches prior to his windfall. So, what Rick has, seen and handled with his stocks are the real thing. He could publish the definitive text on "Stocks: Their Care, Repair and Prevention" but that would only give the Fakers a working text.
Rick, you done good and you have many admirers out here [thanks for the minor repairs to my Garand and Carbine stocks that you did for me].
*There is always that 10% that find fault, complain and argue...about everything. F'em..
Old 11-26-2022, 04:18 PM

The paradox is that both points of view are valid.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:25 PM

Back at you bob!
Old 11-26-2022, 05:28 PM

Rick B,
Thanks for the apology. I may have been a little defensive on the matter. I try to keep a good reputation online and here locally. Iím just trying to pass good info along to others but I see your points as well. I just hate there is so much we have to look out for when it comes to authenticity with M1s. Itís hard enough to retain info when it comes to parts alone. I vaguely remember seeing a test online in another forum that I think you created when it came to bogus stamps but I canít seem to find it now. Iíll try to keep references in my phone as someone stated.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:08 PM

OK, I read this thread again today, was not going to comment on it, because commenting on GI stock cartouche discussions is more dangerous than diving on a bayonet. Here goes anyway.

R. Borecky has been handling Garand (and other legit GI wood) for decades. He not only has examined original wood from a huge acquisition of a barn find many years ago, but, also from restoring, repairing, and refinishing countless genuine GI stocks for many years which belong to enthusiasts like all of you here. I have handled a good number of these original stocks myself over the last 3 decades or so, but only a fraction of what Borecky has had the fortune of seeing in person himself. His involvement dates back to the days of when we discussed these topics on the Jouster Forum; and that's a very while ago. So, be it that he really needs no defending, if indeed you know his history with GI wood and riflles, you have to submit that he knows a heck of a lot more about GI cartouches than most folks- including myself.

Some years ago I have stepped back from then a higher level of involvement on not only discussing this topic, but owning collectable Garands; my interests have shifted. There are a few reasons for this, one being age and not having the interest in collecting anything with the intensity that I once had. Another major reason is due to the massive amounts of fakery been done to stocks. I have to agree with R.B.a lack of willingness to provide the forgers with additional detailed information to facilitate faking stocks and destroying the abilities of legit collectors to discern the real from the fake. This faking crap for profit annoys me greatly.

I feel qualified to express this view; due to my years of exposure to what Boreky's position is on this topic, that he should be regarded as an asset to GI rifle collections regarding wood and cartouches. He is in the collector's corner.

Last edited by sparx; 11-28-2022 at 01:13 PM.