Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2018, 07:25 PM

Default Vintage Scope mounts and rings - 1903a4 style

I am curious about what is allowed for mounts and rings for vintage sniper match in the case of the 1903A4.

To be clear, I have purchased a “correct” Redfield JR base and a set of vertical split 1-inch rings but I am reluctant to drill holes in my otherwise unmollested 1903A3 if we could use a non-drill base Based off this idea:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/no-...3-springfield/

I know this mount looks more modern as it uses Weaver rings BUT what if I hired a machinist to copy the basic mount idea and it was Milled to use Redfield JR rings?

Clearly the mount would look like the Redfield mount and you could use vintage looking rings if not actual vintage rings. To secure the base you could add a 8-40 scope base screw but drill and tap the mount so that the screw is threaded into the mount and it would tighten against the rear sight dovetail and perhaps the front of the receiver too.

Certanly it would not be as strong as a properly drilled and tapped scope mount BUT if it holds it would allow enthusiasts to shoot M1903A3s without more and more of these guns being drilled to compete.

Unfortunately, I sold off my Bridgeport milling machine or I could take this project on for fun but with a CNC Milling machine this is far from being a challenging undertaking.

Am I off my rockers here? Is this something that already exists? Finally, isnt it in the interest of both the CMP and us as shooters to preserve some of these guns if we can too!

In my case, my 1903A4 clone is a recovered drill rifle so not a huge loss but a light bulb just went off in my head, obviously!
Old 04-03-2018, 08:10 PM

I don’t think the no-drill mounts are legal... what does the rules book say?

I wanted to mention that I have been told the 1” vertical split rings will not clear a 1903a4-type bolt handle. I believe you will need medium or high height horizontal split rings.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:22 PM

The rule book does make it sound like something like this could be an issue (AS WRITTEN), but isn’t it better to not destroy history if possible?

Rule book:

https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/CMPGamesRules.pdf

It says on Page 55
Quote:
Only rifles with optical sights may be used. Sights must be original issue optical sights with as-issued reticles or sights may be commercial replicas of as-issued optical sights. In addition, specific non-issue scopes that are listed in Table I may be used. Such non-issue scopes may only be used on the rifles for which they are specifically listed. Replica or non-issue sights may have only crosshair, post or post with crosshair reticles. Scope mounts and rings may be original or reproduction replicas. Scope rings may be sleeved or modified to accept a non-original scope diameter.
So, the question and proposed idea is, if you had a mount that looked correct and works the same BUT it didn’t require drilling and tapping the host gun could it be approved?

Clearly nothing like it exists at this time but it’s just steel or aluminum and a CNC mill from reality.

As for rings, I will have to see but I can get rings I need. This really isn’t about my Redfield base and rings - it’s about a no drill mount so we don’t butcher guns if we can avoid it.

Last edited by Quarterbore; 04-03-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:23 PM

"original or reproduction replicas" I suspect you could solder a Redfield Jr (type) mount onto a reciever and get by an inspection. Many, even most, of the "CMP Sniper A4s" are A3 drill rifle to A forgery repros, with a few genuine A4s thrown in. Not too many shooters are D&Ting pristine A3s. Even so, converting a run of the mill A3 to A Forgery doesn't lower it's value. Also, CMP has allowed modern Redfield and Leupold split rings on A4s....although I am more comfortable having the old style. Good Shooting. ....
Old 04-25-2018, 03:13 PM

"questioned"??? Exactly what does that mean, by who and how was it resolved? Good Shooting. ...
Old 04-25-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdg1 View Post
The CMP person(s) that were weighting triggers at check-in mentioned I should get vintage or reproduction rings to be correct. They said if someone complained I could get moved to out of competition. That would be a pretty chicken shlt thing for someone to do though, especially at a games match. I didn't except to have an issue. No big deal, I can find something vintage enough to use. The torxs do look kind-a cheezy on a rifle that's 99% original 1943 including the barrel.
Can you elaborate on what makes your rings modern? Is it just the torx heads? Horizontal split? Something else?

As far as I know no vertical split medium or tall rings exist, and have been told that 1" short rings will not allow for bolt/scope clearance.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:41 PM

So CMP is worried about torx head screws... but *cough* match ARs get to shoot in modern military?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 05-19-2018, 12:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2171 View Post
So CMP is worried about torx head screws... but *cough* match ARs get to shoot in modern military?
Hilarious... holding the line on "standards" by sniveling about ring style or torx head screws but is just flipping GOOD TO GO if you use a fantasy Weaver modern scope on your 03A4 replica....

But this is not a Vintage Sniper Match, its a Fantasy Scoped Surplus Rifle Match and part of the CMP "Games".