Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2017, 09:29 AM

Default SA 9 uncut op rods

In the recent WRA FG release, I received my first rifle with an uncut op rod. Since they were modified to prevent cracking/breakage, my question is...should I be on the lookout for a modified one or are they robust enough for the casual shooter. Thanks for any input!!! M1 FNG
Old 09-15-2017, 10:16 AM

Well, they were robust enough to be used uncut throughout WWII. Likely depends on how much use your rod has taken over the last 70+ years. You could always trade it for a cut op rod to be on the safe side.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:40 AM

Undoubtedly that rod has survived after shooting thousands and thousands or rounds. More than likely you will not shoot enough to cause a failure. Swapping for another would give you some security but not needed. IMO
The modified rods were implemented because of the added pressure from firing rifle grenades...unless this is your planned usage you should be OK!!
Old 09-15-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T38Carbine View Post
The modified rods were implemented because of the added pressure from firing rifle grenades...unless this is your planned usage you should be OK!!
Actually, the gas system is disabled when launching the grenades. The op-rod barely moves when firing grenades. The modification was done because the right angle was identified as a potential weak point in the op-rod.

I would agree that he should just go ahead and shoot it!
Old 09-15-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCASSIDY View Post
Actually, the gas system is disabled when launching the grenades. The op-rod barely moves when firing grenades. The modification was done because the right angle was identified as a potential weak point in the op-rod.

I would agree that he should just go ahead and shoot it!
Hmmm...that's very true!! I guess my typing fingers became engaged before my brain!!
Old 09-15-2017, 06:05 PM

As GMCASSIDY said, the right angle is a weak point. That is because the right angle is a stress concentration point. The curved relief notch was cut for stress relief.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:52 PM

All my WWII shooters have been corrected except for the Correct Grades and I shoot them, never had a problem. My cut op rods get passed on, I appreciated the originality of the piece and never have regretted it, though I am not fighting a battle.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper View Post
That is because the right angle is a stress concentration point. The curved relief notch was cut for stress relief.
^Engineering 101

In general, there will always be a much higher stress concentration at corners of 90 degree angles - this leads to a much greater chance of crack propagation. On the flip side, if you have stress moving around a rounded corner, the concentration of stress is less.

OP - up to you. Realistically the biggest issue you really need to worry about is the tab. Make sure it's within spec. If not, good chance you'll see op rod dismounts - which can really screw up the op rod ... ask me how I know.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:08 AM

I have cut rods on some of my higher end rifles that I shoot. I'll use post war rebuild rods. They are easy to find and cheap insurance
Old 09-16-2017, 10:55 PM

The difference is $50. between a cut/uncut, all I am saying is I have never had one crack, lots of Garand's shoot at my range, never seen one crack, just my experience, worn tabs though are a problem.