Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2019, 01:43 PM

Default Ithaca question

I would appreciate your guys opinion of this Ithaca. Refinished? I got it before the CMP release because I couldn’t wait.

https://imgur.com/a/OcCh2qi
Old 12-14-2019, 03:21 PM

Chuck,
That's the 64 dollar question for both of us? Your pistol is so identical to my Ithaca which bears a MCLB A7 78 mark of a rebuild that I would say yours is refinished. Both our pistols are very crisp and were obviously spared from an excessive blast of fine abrasives before going to the dunk tank.

While your pictures are telling and indicate no rebuild markings, I am unable to see your safety and hammer to determine if both are serrated or checkered. Your pistol is late production and the presence of checkered parts could imply a reassembly with non Ithaca parts after a refinishing. For both of us I'm hoping I'm wrong about our pistols. You can see mine at :

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=147622&page=3

Last edited by guncotton; 12-14-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:40 PM

Chuck, I don't see any problems. What marking is on the barrel?

For what it's worth here's my Ithaca:

In this shot you can see the different appearance of the serial number compared to the other markings. Hold yours on an angle and see if you see the same difference.

Last edited by Milsurp Collector; 12-28-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:44 PM

I'm not an expert, but I do own a few Ithaca's. It looks to be original finish, but it's hard to tell just by looking at a few pictures. The safety looks to be a different finish, as it should. However, it (the safety) doesn't look as dark and shiny as it should. Best of luck to you!

Last edited by corpsman5; 12-14-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post
I would appreciate your guys opinion of this Ithaca. Refinished? I got it before the CMP release because I couldn’t wait.

https://imgur.com/a/OcCh2qi
I don't see any reason top believe it's been refinished.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to hoyceman

Was the FJA inspector stamp applied before or after parkerizing by Ithaca. I have one that was delivered January 2, 1945 and was brought back by a P47 pilot who passed a few years ago. I was told by an "expert " that it was refinished because the FJA had parkerizing and wasn't shiny. Not trying to hijack the thread, but what 's the truth and is this a good way to identify a refinish ?
Old 12-14-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyceman View Post
Was the FJA inspector stamp applied before or after parkerizing by Ithaca. I have one that was delivered January 2, 1945 and was brought back by a P47 pilot who passed a few years ago. I was told by an "expert " that it was refinished because the FJA had parkerizing and wasn't shiny. Not trying to hijack the thread, but what 's the truth and is this a good way to identify a refinish ?
Stamped after. It wouldn't necessarily look "shiny" especially 75 years after it was stamped, but it should look different from the manufacturer markings, M 1911 A1 U.S. ARMY, and UNITED STATES PROPERTY marking, as the serial number does in the picture I posted above. Also, the Ordnance wheel and inspector's initials are often lightly struck so they might not cut all the way through the Parkerizing.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:31 PM

Looks like a nice original piece.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:56 PM

Thanks everyone for the input!
Old 12-25-2019, 09:41 PM

Chuck44,

Another possible clue indicating original finish is to examine the grip screw bushings where they are flared to the frame. Looking inside the mag well, if you observe bare metal absent parkerized finish which would have been removed by the bushing flare tool, you may have your answer. I was delighted to observe this evidence on my Ithaca pistol pictured at:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=147622&page=4

Looking forward to your findings.

Last edited by guncotton; 12-25-2019 at 10:18 PM.