Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2017, 06:39 PM

Default M1-D receiver lag marking question

I am wondering how your M1-D reciver leg is marked. Also has your receiver been lead dipped? I realize all M1-Ds where build after the left the factory but have seen more with no extra markings than with receiver leg markings. thanks for looking
Old 05-27-2017, 07:13 PM

Default M1D leg markings

David,
At this point I have only seen receiver leg markings from Tooele in 1968 & 1969 and then again from Anniston from 1965 thru 1967.
There may be others that I have just not seen, but am always open to adding to my database
Back when Springfield had the M1D build program they were not etching the receiver legs. Instead you have the Open Box SA stamps on the stocks.

Rob
Old 05-27-2017, 07:21 PM

Hi Rob,
You know this is your fault. You and your RRAD questions have me thinking about garands again. I have seen Tooele 3-69. I recall some of the 1999 lottery snipers were marked this way.
Thanks Pal
Old 05-27-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave269 View Post
Hi Rob,
You know this is your fault. You and your RRAD questions have me thinking about garands again. I have seen Tooele 3-69. I recall some of the 1999 lottery snipers were marked this way.
Thanks Pal
I seem to have had a similar affect on others as well.
Welcome to my affliction
Rob
Old 05-27-2017, 08:58 PM

David,
The biggest difference between the Tooele etches and the Anniston etches is that the Tooele were done on new M1D builds and Anniston was done on rebuilds of existing M1Ds.

Just a detail, but a somewhat important one.
Rob
Old 05-27-2017, 09:04 PM

How do you know the Anniston builds were rebuilds of existing rifles?
Old 05-27-2017, 09:15 PM

Default Dang good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by twh1997 View Post
How do you know the Anniston builds were rebuilds of existing rifles?
That is a very good question.
I make the assumption based on there not being any reported M1D build program like the type that Tooele did.
Add to that the long period, comparatively speaking, that Anniston etchings appear compared to the concise period that the known Tooele build program took place.

Assumptions are dangerous and anyone, myself included, that makes a definitive statement does so at the risk of being wrong.

I think more evidence would be needed of an Anniston new M1D build program before we can say anything other than rebuilds though.

One other tidbit of evidence is the appearance of earlier M1D stocks (SA and Benicia) that I have seen on these.

Always looking for new rifles with clues to what was done, though,
Rob
Old 05-29-2017, 09:03 AM

Default Anniston etched M1Ds - new build or rebuild?

I have been thinking about the Anniston etched M1Ds. As indicated above I believe these to be from a rebuild program and not M1Ds built by Anniston in the same manner that Tooele did.
With the lack of hard evidence maybe there are clues in the general practices at the Anniston Arsenal.

Tooele it seems had a practice of refinishing all parts during their process. This would include any newly installed parts like barrels. This is the reason you generally do not see brite breeches on Tooele rebuilds. It is also the reason you see refinished breeches on the M1Ds that were built with new SA M1D barrels. Every M1D I have seen from Tooele so far has a refinished breech.

Anniston, on the other hand, did not refinish newly installed barrels on their rebuilds. It is common, from what I have seen, to find brite breeches on their rebuilds where they installed a new barrel. Refinished breeches occur where the original barrel was left on.
All of the Anniston etched M1Ds I have had reported to me have refinished breeches which to me seems to indicate the barrel was already on the rifle when it was rebuilt.
Assuming they had replacement M1D barrels on hand to replace out of spec barrels there may well be some brite breech barrels out there as well.

interesting I think,
Rob